Java for digital camera?

Hi guys, There are any advantages(economically speaking) to put a Java chip into a digital camera(or a photo device)? I know the whole story with Java(reliable,portable,etc..) but i need to hear only the market related advantages.

best regards, Marius Stoian

Reply to
Stoian Marius

"Stoian Marius" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Sure, for SUN. And maybe the Chipmaker of the "Java chip".

Interesting stories you know. Do you also know Stories of Marketdruids ?

Raymund Hofmann

Reply to
raymund hofmann

Why a Java chip? Why not just leverage an ARM7 or ARM9 core?

This was attempted - achieved actually - by one of the biggish names in DSCs a couple of years ago. They used a software implementation. The phones in question had an optional wireless modem attachment. It was kind of a different route to the same appliance we have today, the camera-cellphone. They demonstrated it at CES in 2000 or 99. They were kind of hazy about the actual practical application of being able to run Java applets on a DSC - they demonstrated a couple of games, and they talked vaguely about vertical market applications, but I never heard of the product after the show.

Of course, most (all?) of today's camera-phones have a 32-bit core capable of running a JVM, and most of them have a software JVM AFAIK. Can't see the reason to add cost with a Java chip when the software JVM is fast enough.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I don't think that any of these (

) devices are using "Gig's of ram".

-- E-mail : stoian_marius_ciprian at yahoo dot com YahooID : stoian_marius_ciprian Office : +40-(0)21-336-6238 Mobile : +40-(0)72-279-1024

Reply to
Stoian Marius