Converting Switching Power Supply for Inductive Heating

Any reason I couldn't use a big switching power supply as the starting point for a

500W (+-) inductive heater?

Anyone have any insight that would be helpful as I jump into this?

Thx Scott

Reply to
Scott Kelley

I can think of a few, first they have a dc output! You could remove the output diodes but then you have the problem that the voltage might not suit your coil. They are designed to operate at a fixed frequency which may not suit you coil either. Your coil works best with a push pull drive, many smps are unidirectional.

Reply to
cbarn24050

I did say "starting point" :D

I don't yet have a coil - figured that its design would be very dependent upon what I could do with the power supply, and whether it was used in a resonant circuit or step-down transformer.

It should be a fairly simple matter to change frequency.

Any reason it wouldn't work? Optimum efficiency wouldn't be much of an issue as long as it was within reason.

You say that many are unidirectional - are some push-pull? I could be selective about what power supply I use (if I could find out which supplies used Push-Pull drive).

SK

Reply to
Scott Kelley

You need to design the coil to suit the job your trying to do, so thats the starting point.

The smps transformer will only work near it's design frequency, at least at anything like its rated power.

It's highly likely to destroy the smps.

Some big ones are push pull.

I could be

I had assumed you allready had the smps and were trying to find a use for it. I have worked on industrial inductive heaters and it's not easy to do, I would forget it if I were you or at least do some research first.

Reply to
cbarn24050