Power supply for Buck dc-dc

Hi, Please, could I use a half-bridge diode circuit to power this buck power supply ?

This power supply accepts 62VDC input, so if I use one rectifier diode to rectify

120Vac home's power (decay to ~ 54Vdc), it will work ?

120Vac -> 1 rectifier diode -> 54Vdc -> Buck DC-DC power supply. Thanks.

Reply to
contracer11

** No way.

** Your math is all screwy. 120VAC > 170V peak - so that will be the DC output voltage after one diode and a filter cap.

PLUS - you have NO SAFETY ISOLATION !!!!

For most applications, such a set up would be LETHAL !!

Forget it.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Oi. Wrong in so many ways. Where should we start?

The short answer is, given what you know, don't even try. Learn more about electronics first, then start playing with power from the wall when you're not going to kill yourself, burn your house down, or shock your kids silly.

If you don't understand why you can't connect your equipment straight to the wall power without isolation, then you need to learn more about electronics and about how houses are wired for power before you can safely proceed to play with 120V. While it isn't always instantly LETHAL!!!, getting a shock from 120V always hurts a lot, it _can_ kill you on a bad day, and there's a lot of ways that you can build your equipment so that it doesn't kill you or your loved ones, but still burns down your house.

Get yourself a copy of the ARRL manual. They've got whole chapters in there on power supply design, electric safety, how houses in North America are wired, and all that useful stuff. Then READ IT. If you don't feel you understand what it says, don't mess around with 120V -- just find a wall-wart that delivers what you need, and be happy.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Yesterday I took my digital multimeter, insert a 1N4007 diode in power's home, and I got 52Vdc from that !

Reply to
contracer11

Tim is right. When you understand why you measure 52VDC with your digital multimeter you'll be in much safer position to move forward.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

supply ?

d3

o rectify

Is there any way to bypass transformer´s usage to power this buck ? It´s only for school work, not for real usage...

Reply to
contracer11

wer

-

iode

ks.

en

ns

home, and I got 52Vdc from that !- Hide quoted text -

That makes no sense to me. Have you been zapped by 120 Vac yet? Keep one hand in your pocket. You can buy a nice linear power supply from Mastek ~50V @3A for a bit more than $100.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Fri, 11 Jan 2013 06:41:26 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

No. And if you single phase rectify 120V AC you still get 120 /2 * sqrt(2) = 85 V DC peak. Add some for main tolerances. And you would not be insolated form mains.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

--
Right.
Reply to

On a sunny day (Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:56:17 -0600) it happened John Fields wrote in :

DC peak.

Oops! I must be getting old.... Thanks for the correction... :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

wer supply ?

tem2c639b54d3 This power supply accepts 62VDC input, so if I use one rectif ier diode to rectify 120Vac home's power (decay to ~ 54Vdc), it will work ? 120Vac -> 1 rectifier diode -> 54Vdc -> Buck DC-DC power supply. Thanks.

And what about this ? Vrms=Vpeak/2 Vdc=Vpeak/Pi

contracer11

supply ?

This power supply accepts 62VDC input, so if I use one rectifier diode to rectify 120Vac home's power (decay to ~ 54Vdc), it will work ? 120Vac -> 1 rectifier diode -> 54Vdc -> Buck DC-DC power supply. Thanks.

The RMS voltage of a waveform is the DC voltage which would heat a load the same amount as the waveform under question.

For example, since Vrms = Vpeak/2 for a half-wave rectified sine wave, that signal, with an amplitude of 2 volts, would heat a load the same amount as 1 volt, DC would.

The average DC is the number you'd get if you took a great number of equally time-spaced voltage samples from the start of one half-sine pulse to the start of the next, added them all up, and then divided that sum by the number of samples.

In the end, that quotient would be equal to Vdc = Vpeak/pi.

--
JF
Reply to

DC peak.

--
My pleasure! ;)
Reply to

home, and I got 52Vdc from that !- Hide quoted text -

*BACK* pocket.

Wall warts are cheaper and even safer. 5V@2A, or so, won't get a newb in too much trouble and will be quite useful while learning.

Reply to
krw

Somewhere I have a 230VAC theraputic lamp/heater - it used to have a UV ray tube and used a pair of heater bars with combined rating of 115VAC to act as ballast for the UV tube and provide Theraputic IR rays. When the UV tube is not required (or missing) the heater bars are fed by a hefty rectifier diode, by clipping the half cycles; the power delivered to the heater bars is halved.

Unfortunately, with a buck converter; it doesn't work like that - the input filter/reservoir electrolytic will charge to 1.414 x 110V.

Of course with a buck regulator the transistor is in series with the load, so when the severely over-volted transistor fails short-circuit - the load should provide a short, but spectacular fireworks display.

Reply to
Ian Field

supply ?

b54d3

to rectify

No! Unsafe. You will destroy the power supply. It may burn up or explode. It may maim or kill you.

Is this clear enough?

Tim warned you off, you are not fit to make a guess on this.

Reply to
josephkk