HELP: Cutting Open a CPU to Reveal Die

Hi,

I'm doing some research on materials forming and would like to replicate the surface of a CPU die on the nm level. Does anyone have any experience on removing the packaging on modern CPUs to reveal the die?

Alternatively, does anyone know of 65 or 90 nm dies that are not packaged?

Best wishes, dave

Reply to
Doctor Dave

A great number of newer devices come in 'FlipChip' packages, where the 'lid' of the chip is immediately above the die - this is done for effective thermal transfer to heat sinks - these are easy to dissect - pop the heat sink off for many of them, and the die os there for you to see.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

And I'm sure many have learned this the hard way.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

If you want to expose the die in a particular chip there are ways of disolving the plastic so that the die is left intact. I saw it done about 15 years ago. It's expensive to have it done but try:..

If you don't care about which chip it is find one in a ceramic LCC package and unsolder the lid eg..

CWatters

Thanks everyone - very helpful. Will post a result if something interesting turns out.

Reply to
Doctor Dave