40 amp Power Supply ?

Hi techs , I want to build a 40 amp power supply to use for amateur radio . I want to use a transformer out of a battery charger but I have no schematics for the design. The input voltage will be 120 volts and I need the output voltage to be 12 volts to 13.5 volts regulated . Like I say I have no schematics for this project but would sure appreciate any good help in design , weather it be tube type or semi-conductor principle . What should I go with , tubes or semi- conductor ? Anyone with any good schematics that wants to help please send them to me without viruses attached to my Email address and take "no" off from nemonet.com .

Reply to
rijo1

40 amps is a pretty hefty power supply. That's pretty mush out of the league for vacuum tubes... power semiconductors is the solution. Here's a link to a project that will supply 30A regulated power... you might start with that and add more power transistors later when you determine that your transformer can supply the voltage and current needed to maintain regulation.
A link to a smaller supply

You might read the material on regulated power supplies at

before you get too involved. It will probably save you a ton of confusion and frustration later into the project.

Regulated power supplies need significantly higher filtered DC voltage on the regulator input than you may realize, so a battery charger transformer may not be totally adequate at that high current demand. Be sure to read about the calculations that you need to make prior to starting the project. Some good info on that in the Theory section of the

page.

Good luck on your project. Be sure to come back here with questions as you get further along.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

DaveM

Reply to
rijo1