Can you explain this? (lightning experience today)

Hi folks, I was working away in my attic office here at home in England this afternoon, while a thunderstorm approached.

As I sat, reading an email, with my right hand resting on my mouse , there was a very loud clap of thunder very close-by. At that same moment, I received an electric shock in my right hand and similtaneously heard a sharp "crack" in the same vicinity. The shock I felt was very brief, but it felt at least as powerful as a shock from our domestic mains (240+ volts). Surprisingly, my PC continued to function as normal, although I lost my internet connection at that same moment.

Can anyone explain what happenned? I am just curious....

Al (England)

Reply to
AL

Simple: You took part of the lightning strike that most likely hit the phone lines and/or power line nearby.

Think about it - That lightning bolt has just jumped anywhere from half a quarter of a mile to as much as ten miles of air-gap. Do you *REALLY* think that the quarter inch of plastic wrapped around your mouse is sufficient to insulate you from its power?

The fact that your computer survived is a testament to the bizarre behavior of lightning - It'll take out every electronic device in a room

*EXCEPT* the radio, while in the next room, it'll blow a TV set into a million pieces scattered about the room, yet leave thousands of dollars worth of video gear plugged into the same power strip untouched, and in the room next to that, leave the alarm-clock blinking "12:00", and the telephone dead.

It all depends on the ground ("earth", to you Brits) paths.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.

A similar event took out the modem on my mothers PC last year.

Reply to
CWatters

Immediately after an event like that, simultaneous sound and light, one makes a quick check to see if his pulse is still working, no burned or damaged limbs anyplace. Then he checks to see if there's the smell of smoke anyplace, or other signs of fire. A quick walk-about outside may be in order. Then one can see if their computer, TV, etc., is still working.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Thanks for the input. How many volts would you say I received? I'm just grasping for interesting facts that will make my enecdote more impressive when I tell it...

I'm really glad I dint have my hand on a tap ("faucet" to you Americans) at that moment. :-)

Al

Reply to
AL

Any number anyone gives you for the voltage, whether it be here on the newsgroup, or from one of the guys in the scientist suits, will be pure guess.

Chalk it up as "one of those things you'll never know for sure".

Ad be glad you came out of it unscathed.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.
Reply to
Don Bruder

I am - thanks!

Al

Reply to
AL

Decades ago we had a big console TV in and out and in and out of the shop. It kept blowing one of the high voltage caps and we could not figure out why. Finally I loaned the customer a set that was just a little nicer than theirs, pulled their set out of the cabinet, put it up on the bench and left it running. Every now and then I'd have some idea and go check. We couldn't figure it out. One afternoon I saw that the CRT was awfully dusty. So I picked up a rag and began to dust it off a bit.

Then I had this stunned feeling, my finger had strayed too close to the high voltage connector on the CRT. Matt was across the room and laughing himself silly. He said that was the first time he had actually seen AND heard a spark nail me. I don't think it left any permanent damage, but then how would I know.

I've done dumber things, but I can't remember why.

Reply to
Don Taylor

From personal experience with electric fencers, 5000 volts will make you jump and be unwilling to try touching that object again and when you are dreaming about it your whole body will jump on remembering.

--