explain this

I have an old portable CD player, still works. Runs on 2 AA batteries.

The other day, a CD was skipping, on the third track. I tolerated it for a minute, then forwarded. Other tracks also damaged.

The battery charge indicator read zero. Dead battery or smushy disc? I pop in another CD, works fine. Try the bad CD again, same symptoms repeated.

How does a dodgy disc muck the battery charge sensing circuit?

Sherlock Holmes, paging Detective Holmes, please report to sci.elect.design -

Reply to
RichD

Did you try changing the batteries? Is it possible that one disc has something on it that takes more current than the other discs? Check the batteries.

Reply to
Ricky

It doesn't. It makes the tracking servo work a lot harder drawing much more current from the poor unfortunate "on their last legs" batteries.

In normal tracking it barely has to do much except constant velocity movement with a slight wobble to handle any eccentricity of the mount but with a scratched disk then all bets are off.

Reply to
Martin Brown