Any suggestions for a spectrum adapter for a scope ?

Hello

Any suggestions for a very low cost audio spectrum analyser adaptor for an oscilloscope (diy or ready made) ?

Thank

Gaetan

Reply to
Gaetan Mailloux

Easier to use a PC these days, especially for AF.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

For audio frequencies, if you have a PC with sound card then this would be a better option than something involving an oscilloscope. (Unless you use the oscilloscope as a display for a computer running a FFT-based anayser, but then why not just use a PC with monitor?)

The reason why doing the spectrum analysis in a computer is better for audio frequencies is that it is possible to measure the energy in all of the frequency bins simultaneously, whereas the traditional swept-LO frequency spectrum analysers that were used for RF would take a very long time to take a full sweep of the audio band with a narrow enough resolution bandwidth to be useful.

For RF spectrum analysis, the swept-LO approach (like might be used as an adapter for an oscilloscope) still can out-perform FFT-based spectrum analysis at least in the hobbyist price range, because it is difficult and expensive to digitise large frequency bands with good dynamic range, and also difficult to process the resulting data.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Hello

I allready use a sound card but I would prefer using a scope and a spectrum adapter.

Somebody suggest me, by email, using the HP3581, how about this one ?

Thank

Gaetan

Reply to
Gaetan Mailloux

hameg has a module hm8038 (and another module I dont remember)

you can find some used one on ebay

1504
--
Jean-Yves.