0.1 ohm Resistors from Scratch Again

In message , John Woodgate writes

Thermocouple voltage?

--
Tony Williams
Reply to
Tony Williams

That takes me right back to Junior high school.

I suppose I could retaliate by spreading your given name across the newsgroups.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Virtually all materials have a resistivity which is temperature dependent. Most are positive relationship (resistance goes up with temp) but a very few are negative.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:32:16 -0400, Chuck Harris Gave us:

Nope. Real e-mail addresses are far more annoying.

Reply to
NunYa Bidness

Okay ... but we are talking about copper here. What other materials do isn't relavent.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

Maybe I should have said, copper, like MOST materials, has a resistivity which is temperature dependent. Better?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Well, it appeared that you were specifically addressing this question:

Saying that copper's resistance is temperature dependent still does not answer the question, since the known temperature dependence (for copper) is in the opposite direction to what the op measured. That is what the question is all about: why is the measurement contrary to what is known about copper?

But perhaps I'm mistaken and you weren't trying to address the above question at all, just interjecting some general knowledge for our benefit. :-)

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

Ah, I had indeed missed that. I didn't pay attention to the sense of the change. Interesting!

Reply to
Don Stauffer

A coil on a resistor body will heat up more than a few inches of wire in open air. Air cooling is less when the wire is on a surface. In addition, probably more significant, is wire turns on a resistor body being heated by heat from adjacent turns of the coiled winding.

Don Klipstein

In article , Chuck Harris wrote in part:

That's a more difficult part, given temperature coefficient of resistance of copper! How to measure cold and when in use? Maybe make a resistor measuring only a little low ehen cold, and see what it does when in use, and improve from that!

- Don ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com)

Reply to
Don Klipstein

One thing to keep in mind:

Wirewound power resistors are typically made with nichrome wire, which has an unusually low temperature coefficient of resistance about half that of copper and most other metals.

- Don ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com)

Reply to
Don Klipstein

This is opposite of what should be the truth. Copper wire has resistance increasing with temperature, roughly proportionately with degrees K.

Looks like you have some measurement error.

- Don ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com)

Reply to
Don Klipstein

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Don Klipstein wrote (in ) about '0.1 ohm Resistors from Scratch Again', on Mon, 26 Sep 2005:

Well, they MAY be, but there are many alloys with much lower TCRs. Constantan is one, and Eureka is similar. Manganin has very nearly zero TCR and is used for high-precision resistors.

John Woodgate

Perhaps the heating/cooling changes the stress on a contact somewhere (from thermal expansion), and that might be what is causing the resistance change. The differences involved, 0.005 ohms, is not very much.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

Really, I don't know what this is all about, every bit of the "experiment" can be predicted by anybody, so WTF is the OP doing? He should just take some Konstantan wire, I have some at hand. It says 2.5 Ohm/m, has 0.5mm dia. and looks yellowish/greenish. It is solderable, but should be welded to be useable at higher temperatures, otherwise the total dissipation would be the same as the resistor. My 0.1R resistors have to have much more dissipation capability than 1/4W to be useable.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

--
He's jerking himself off predending to be some kind of sage
"scientist".

Is that mined in Constantanople?

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

No, but it's used for making istanbullets.

John Woodgate

"Constant resistance since 1453".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Spehro Pefhany wrote (in ) about '0.1 ohm Resistors from Scratch Again', on Tue, 27 Sep 2005:

Well, it's 2032 here now, so that's less than 6 hours. What's the LONG-term stability like?

John Woodgate