0.1 ohm Resistors from Scratch Again

An rule of thumb that i have used for ages is: run no more than X milliamps of current thru a wire of X circular mils of area; this gives negligible IR losses.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Robert Baer wrote (in ) about '0.1 ohm Resistors from Scratch Again', on Tue, 20 Sep 2005:

The conductor size based on voltage drop is very much larger than the conductor size based on temperature rise. A wire whose 'area' is X circular mils has a real area of 0.7854X x 10^-6 square inches. X mA through that area is a current density of 1273 A/in^2.

Modern transformers (in which it's quite difficult to dispose of the heat from the conductors) are commonly designed with a current density of 3000 A/in^2 or even more.

John Woodgate

just

produces

I Googled for metric copper wire table and got over 300 000 "hits". What I found were tables of AWG with a column with the metric equivalent sizes, or IOW, just multiplying the diameter by 25.4. Few of the tables go below 40 AWG, which is what I need (some don't go below 30 or even 20 AWG).

I tried your suggestion, metric copper wire sizes. Many of the URLs are the same, judging by their purple color which means I've viewed them recently. I've spent a substantial amount of time searching thru them. A lightning storm passed thru, causing a momentary power failure which caused the PC to reboot, oh, well. I decided to watch TV for awhile, which doesn't have to spend time rebooting. ;-) If anyone wants to offer a URL, I'm willing to check it out. Meantime, I'm still searching.

selection.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

You may be able to find what you want here

Ross Herbert

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Halleluja! Found what I was looking for. Thank you, thank you.

BRB...

Looks like the wire I have is 0.067, which isn't bold, so it's a nonstandard size.

Thank you again. You've made a what was difficult search worthwhile.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

and

Well, that was my foot long wire 'test' resistor. It's 1.51 ohms. I figured out that for a tenth of an ohm, I'm gonna need less than an inch, something like .78 inch, which is going to be a small fraction of a microhenry. So no problem. And with the hairpin wind, I have to glue it to keep it from unwinding. Thanks.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Fot 40 gauge, it's almost seven miles per pound. And it doesn't take a very big feel to hold several pounds.

selection.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\"" wrote (in ) about '0.1 ohm Resistors from Scratch Again', on Tue, 20 Sep 2005:

I think you have something other than copper wire in mind. (;-)

John Woodgate

Arrrr, me buxom beauty.

(one day late for International Talk like a Pirate Day).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

One day late, and a parrot short?

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 06:05:29 -0700, "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, th Dark Remover\"" wrote

messag

(i

fro

an

jus

You may be able to find what you want her

Ross Herber

Reply to
Ross Herbert

(in

from

[...]

"Chuck Harris" wrote in messag news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net..

Well, that was my foot long wire 'test' resistor. It's 1.51 ohms. figured out that for a tenth of an ohm, I'm gonna need less than a inch, something like .78 inch, which is going to be a small fractio o a microhenry. So no problem. And with the hairpin wind, I have t glu it to keep it from unwinding. Thanks

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Wa

wire

Halleluja! Found what I was looking for. Thank you, thank you.

BRB...

Looks like the wire I have is 0.067, which isn't bold, so it's a nonstandard size.

Thank you again. You've made a what was difficult search worthwhile.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Wa

(in

from

Arrrr, me buxom beauty.

(one day late for International Talk like a Pirate Day).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

--
"it's the network..."                          "The Journey is the
reward"

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\"" wrot (in ) about '0.1 ohm Resistor from Scratch Again', on Tue, 20 Sep 2005

I think you have something other than copper wire in mind. (;-

-- Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only If everything has been designed, a god designed evolution by natura selection

Also see

John Woodgate

Resistors

can

there

just

Fot 40 gauge, it's almost seven miles per pound. And it doesn't take a very big feel to hold several pounds.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Wa

Spehro Pefhany wrote

One day late, and a parrot short?

--

Michael A. Terrel

Central Florid
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We sort of ballpark that straight round wire comes out something on the order of 20 nh per inch, so if you wound it single-turn on a quarter watt resistor, I doubt sincerely you'd get more than double that. If you are worried about 50 nh inductors, you've got more problems than an inch of wire.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:35:29 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

That was the parrot.

Reply to
NunYa Bidness