10 ohm 1W 0.1% resistor

Hi all, I'm trying to pick a current sense resistor. Most of the time currents will be low. But the high end is ~300mA. I'd like to keep near the 0.1% tolerance. I was thinking of one big (2W) resistor or four 1/2 W in series/ parallel. I'd really like a graph of resistance vs temperature, but all I get is temp coef in ppm.

2 Watt.

data sheet

70 C rise at 1 Watt seems like a lot. at 50ppm that's 0.35%

data sheet

30 C rise at 1/4 watt. At 25 ppm that's ~0.1% (seems like a winner.)

Surface mount.

data sheet
No info on temperature rise.

Just looking for any thoughts.

Thanks

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

At this impedance and accuracy level you should look for a four-terminal shunt. 0.1% will mean 10 milliohms, and that is difficult to handle with two-wire connections.

--

-TV
Reply to

How about a smaller resistor and a chopamp?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Sometimes people have a problem and they need to sense current and they say "Well I'll current-sense on the low side."

Now they have two problems...

Reply to
bitrex

yCMF5510R000BEEK

Vishay used to do some really classy - if non-cheap - precision resistors i n high-dissipation packages. I used then at Cambridge Instruments in the sc an amplifiers for the electron-beam microfabricator (which were supposed to be 18-bit accurate over the full field, though you had to wait about 1msec when stepping from one sub-field to the next.

is an example.

covers the range.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

At least two problems...

Reply to
bitrex

I like to use multiple surface-mount thinfilm resistors, which are cheap and super stable. Like for a 50 ohm terminator, four 50 ohm

1206's in a series-parallel array, with biggish copper pads to add heat sinking, good for a couple of watts.

Surface mount resistor cooling is dominated by the heat sinking from the pads, and heat transfer into the PCB ground or power planes. An

0603 will dump half a watt if you keep the end caps cool.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

U could get a sense resistor with a +3300 ppm tempco (or do the math to make a series/parallel arrangement that had approximately that) and then buffer the sense voltage to the base of a BJT fed with a current calculated to give the same temperature rise as in the resistor

Reply to
bitrex

Hmm... I didn't think about that. My total error will be bigger than 0.1%. I can make the interconnecting traces wider.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You know I've never used a chop amp. At the low end I've got 20 mA,

200 mV of signal and a opa2192 opamp. (25 uV Vos max.)

Then Tauno's 'stray' resistance effects are larger.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Care to share? GH

Reply to
George Herold

I guess I'm semi-crippled 'cause I'm only doing two layers. Do you put the large pours on the ends on the top layer, or couple it to one of the inner layers? I've got ~1/2" by 1" of space on the pcb for the sense resistor.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Just big pads will help a lot. Add copper pours to the top and bottom, and connect with vias to move the heat. Use all the area that you have, 5 or even 10 paralleled cheap 0805's maybe. Of course, my bias is towards using reel-fed surface-mount parts, not hand-soldered leaded things.

Soldered to big copper pours, the central hot-spot temperature of a surface-mount resistor, at a given power dissipation, is almost independent of resistor size. That's because they are usually all 20 mil thick alumina, so the sheet thermal resistance is constant, so theta from center to ends is constant.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

You can make 4-wire PCB connections to standard 2-terminal surface-mount resistors, or even to an array of resistors. Just use two fat traces for the current, and pick off close to the bodies with two sense traces.

1oz copper is only about 500 micro-ohms per square.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Can you sketch that circuit?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Depends on the layout. 1-oz copper is about 0.5 milliohms per square, so at that level it's generally fine to take the sense lines off the pads.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The two big ones with sensing on the low side are that if the sense resistor is in series with the load, a naive sensing arrangement won't detect a fault condition where the load is shorted to ground from either the top or bottom. "Wow my load seems to have gone really high impedance! Better jack the current up..." And depending on the load/application there may be no good way to distinguish a fault condition from normal operation using low side sensing.

Also the ground loop problem where one must ensure both the ground of the sense amp and the load are always at very close to the same potential. No sense in having a super-accurate resistor if the relative ground between the two is varying all over the place. That usually implies having the sense amp very close to the load which again application-depending isn't always practical...

Reply to
bitrex

Appeal to authority: IIRC Bob Pease was very "down" on low-side sensing in general too ;-)

Reply to
bitrex

The common-mode voltage will be way lower if low-side sensing is used, and isn't subject to power supply changes. That makes the downstream electronics much easier.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

It is easier and does work pretty well sometimes

Reply to
bitrex