XMD crashes on EDK 9.1i

Hello Group Members

I am trying to build a simple system consisting of PowerPC405, JTAG, UART, OPB DDR controller, and 16MB External DDR memory on a HiTech PPC board. No on-chip BRAMs. I use EDK 9.1/ISE9.1 versions.

If I try to launch XMD from EDK GUI, it prints messages detecting the programming cable and quits without printing any error messages.

I tried invoking XMD from cygwin shell and used the command ' connect ppc hw', it detects the JTAG chain, prints the ID code and then quits printing 'ERROR(0):'. I have no idea what might be wrong here.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Interestingly, If I use only on-chip BRAM and no external memory, i can print messages to UART by downloading code through XMD.

Thanks swamy

Reply to
swamy_digital

I had an issue where I could not download w/ 9.1 but could w/ no problems under 8.2. It seemed that the xmd.ini file was (or wasn't) setting up some addresses properly. You may want to check the contents of your xmd.ini file (if it exists) and make sure that everything makes sense. It sounds like the xmd.ini file probably has some addressing setup to access the BRAM from your other project and since you don't have BRAM in the current project its becoming unhappy when it tries to setup/access something.

-- Mike

Reply to
morphiend