Xilinx PLEASE FIX YOUR servers (ISE 10.1)

I can not imagine that the server overload is such a real problem that Xilinx hasnt been able to solve it during the many years of repeated webserver problems.

Getting the company website and downloads working reliable isnt magic. Its way less complicated the making FPGA's

Sure probably there are just too many download requests of 10.1 but, but still it should be possible to get the servers managed

======== Error

We cannot fullfill your request due to technical difficulties. Please try again later.

Please do NOT click the back button. Please try again later, and email snipped-for-privacy@xilinx.com if you receive this error repeatedly.

========

Reply to
Antti

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

ISE 10.1 DOES NOT SUPPORT Virtex-5FXT ?????

at least by the online information

and "whats new in 10.1" for embedded design points to dead link

really looks like Xilinx webmaster is on permanent maternity leave or something...

Antti

Reply to
Antti

well there are GOOD NEWS TOO, first time in history? has Xilinx managed to release ALL MAJOR version at the same time, that is EDK 10.1 CS 10.1 are all available!!

and as new feature added to EDK:

*Usability improvements as well as Simplified Installation and Registration process

unfortunatly that new feature (added in 10.1) COMPLETLY prevents the download of any of the 10.1 tools!!

only the standalone programming tools can be downloaded.

so we can download xilinx programming tools only - as simple one file download of 916 MEGA BYTE only :)

Antti has sent email to xilinx webmaster and is waiting response

Reply to
Antti

Antii,

calm down....

Roling out a multi-hundred or even Gigabyte distribution is some heavy load for any server farm. And there is also some poroblem with the European-US transatlatic cable

which cuts 30 GBit/s transfer capacity.

Uwe Bonnes

Antti,

calm down....

Roling out a multi-hundred or even Gigabyte distribution is some heavy load for any server farm. And there is also some problem with the European-US transatlatic cable

which cuts 30 GBit/s transfer capacity.

Uwe Bonnes

well its not that...

I just downloaded the "standalone programmer" 916MByte OK, so Xilinx servers have no issues with the bandwidth the problem is that the registration does not work. for that there is no bandwidth needed.

just a webmaster who does what he is getting paid for. thats all that is needed.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

ah its all working now!!

it only 6.7 GB download :)

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Antti

Release notes say only early access support currently for V5 FX. Full support coming in a service pack.

John Adair Enterpo> >

Reply to
John Adair

hmm.. I missed that part, or maybe that wasnt online when i looked. the ISE 10.1 release info had NO V5-FXT listed at all.

sure it would be only early access for now as the 5FXT still hasnt been announced officially

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Why don't they use bit torrent? It would save them a packet (hoho) in bandwidth costs... Syms.

Reply to
Symon

That and slave servers around the world. Like other large internet projects handle this kind of issue. Ie why have 100 ppl download over a slow pipe when you can download it fast from a local server.

A response from xilinx on this matter would be nice.

Reply to
sky465nm

This seems the normal way of business these days. Where "improvement" means broken etc.. :)

You might try something like this: wget -O- http://host/file.. | tar -xzvpf -

Reply to
sky465nm

But if you know that in advance, there are two simple solutions:

- use torrents (yes, those are not only for illegal file sharing) or

- buy on demand bandwidth from Amazon or other providers.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

no that aint the problem I think Xilinx has bandwidth as much as needed they just have web application problems that prevent registrations, etc...

download speeds are >=300 Kbyte seconds

Antti

Reply to
Antti

I would not imagine that bit torrent would be so popular among professional users - most companies' networks will (should!) block bit torrent traffic. It would help for some users (especially if there were a number of slave servers contributing to the swarm), but don't believe bit torrent (or any other p2p sharing) is popular in corporate networks.

Reply to
David Brown

In my opinion, Xilinx did quite a nice job: registration and everything went very smoothly and I just downloaded the new WebPack in under an hour (apx. 5.7Mb/s). The download menu offers options to use a webinstall or download manager, but with some perseverance you can still download the file using plain old wget (the machine that runs my webbrowser is not the machine where I wanted to download this 2.3GB tarball) - very nice to have that option available as well.

Regards, Paul Boven.

Reply to
Paul Boven

Hi Antti,

I encountered similar problems last night (PM Pacific Time, 24-MAR-2008) but was far more successfull this morning (AM Pacific Time, 25-MAR-2008).

I agree, last night was very frustrating as the site just fails; no mention of heavy traffic.

Steve Knapp Prevailing Technology, Inc.

Reply to
Steve Knapp

Hi Steve,

it seems that I(we) fetched a bad time for our first attempts... only a few hours later all worked fine!

Antti PS you have switched to dangerous company? ;) or maybe i dont know the exact meaning of "prevailing.."

Reply to
Antti

Red Hat relies heavily on Bittorrent to distribute copies of the Fedora stuff. So, don't just assume "bittorrent == bad".

Reply to
DJ Delorie

but

ion

Many years ago, when we packed our little kids into the station wagon for the 45 min trip to the beach, they would become impatient after a few miles and whine: "Aren't we there yet?". The whining here reminds me of those trips. PS: We always made it to the beach, the whining seems to be what parents are supposed to endure... Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke