System configuration for Xilinx ISE 10.1 - Virtex 5 LX110t or bigger FPGA

Hi, I have been running my designs on ISE 9.2i for a virtex-5 LX110t FPGA. The time taken by the tool to complete a full synthesis and implementation is a little over 3 hours on a Core2 Quad CPU running at

2.4 GHz with 2GB of RAM and Windows XP Pro 32-bit edition. I have tried using ISE 10.1 and have observed that the time taken to run the same design is less than 2 hrs. I have read the threads on Xilinx about using more memory, I will be upgrading my memory to 3 GB or more. I would like to get some recommendations for a system configuration in terms of the best suitable processor, memory and any other useful configuration to bring down the synthesis-map-par run- time. The other discussion threads that I went through were either old or did not point to an optimal configuration. Your inputs will be helpful and is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
explore

Hi, I cannot give a comment on the usage of better processor or a system with a bigger RAM but I faced a similar situation some time ago when my synthesis on XC2V8000 took some 25-hours to complete on a Multiprocessor machine. For a slightest change in RTL I would wait for a working day to get the bitstream. Later I used Xilinx PlanAhead to floorplan the design and a modification in RTL was sythesized for that individual module and netlist was updated with that frozen floor plan. I reduced our PAR time from 20-hours to just one hour.

Hope this helps

/MH

Reply to
Moazzam

First off, a multiprocessor/core system won't do you much since the tools do *NOT* support any type of SMP currently. And if you read through the previous discussions about it, you'll see there's a lot of feet dragging with trying to actually implement it as well.

Secondly, from what I've seen here's what you really need: a) a TON of RAM with a 64bit OS to actually support it. b) the fastest processor with the most cache: probably one of the nice big Xeon's.

I have been working on the Core2Duo 6600's for my designs and they've been alright. I have a Xeon w/ 4MB of cache sitting in the lab w/ RH and I have been meaning to get around to testing a build on it, and comparing it between my P4D-3.2Ghz and the Core2Duo 6600. If I ever get around to it, I'll post the results.

-- Mike

Reply to
morphiend