Xilinx ISERDES

How many ISERDES are there in an FX12?

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

unfrostedpoptart

Depending on the package, there are either 240 or 320 available I/O, and (almost) all of them have their own ISERDES. Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Thanks Peter.

If you need master-slave ISERDES to get 7 bits, are there any layout issues, pin assignment issues that would cause problems or crowding? I only need 16 ISERDES total.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

No problem, not even with ten bits parallel. Some of the configuration-oriented pins in the center do not have a SerDes. that's why i wrote "almost". You will not run into any problems in this regard. Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

If you need a slave ISERDES, you 'borrow' the ISERDES from the other IOB in the tile. In that case, the other IOB has no ISERDES available. If you have single ended inputs, you couldn't have two 7-bit ISERDES on 2 input pads in the same tile. If you have LVDS inputs you're OK because the 2 input pads form 1 internal signal that can feed to the 2 ISERDES in master-slave configuration.

It's pretty easy to see if you make up an example design, place and route then look at the results with FPGA editor.

--
Joe Samson (jsamson@)
PixelVelocity

Thank you Joseph,

I did what you suggested and did an example program. I am using LVDS inputs and want 7:1 serdes.

The placement seems to be somewhat what you said in that the master iserdes gets placed right next to the _p pad. The _n pad shows a single connection going to the _p pad. However the slave serdes seems to be placed willy-nilly, not in the same tile, and sometimes mixed with a master iserdes of a different lvds signal in the same tile. Is there something you are doing to put the slave iserdes in the same tile as the master, like a constraint?

Nice web site there.

Thanks,

Brad Smallridge aivision.com

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

I just LOC'd the IO pins. I'm verifying the pinout of a new design, so I spent a few days trying out different banks and pin choices. I looked at almost every route in FPGA editor and only ever saw the master and slave paired with the two LVDS IOs. I'm using the reference design from XAPP705; maybe other logic is forcing the placement. There might be a timing spec that can only be satisfied if the ISERDES are in the same tile.

--
Joe
Reply to

Peter Alfke wrote_

What do I do if I need 12?

We use a lot of TI's ADS527X-ADCs, and those output 12bit-data-words over LVDS-DDR-outputs running at 420MHz and higher. Up to now we have a lot of fiddeling to do in Virtex-II Pro (see xapp774), so the ISERDES seemed like the perfect solution. Only it seems that in Master/Slave-Configuration, the maximum you can do is 10bit.

Is there any way to expand this, or do I have to do this "manually", i.e. without the ISERDES, just like in Virtex-II Pro?

cu, Sean

Reply to
Sean Durkin

Sean Durkin schrieb:

So these are 6-bit nibbles at 70MHz. Should be easy with the ISERDES.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

I think what Kolja is suggesting is to use the ISERDES at the input front end of the data, and then double the width in the fabric. Sounds like a good idea for you.

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

We use TI ads5270,and clock rate 33.33Mhz X 6= 200Mhz in XC4VLX25-10 . It is working OK! You can try lvds-p and lvds-n at two ISERDES. One pin has one ISERDES, So lvds have two ISERDES. lvds-p and lvds-n to up ISERDES, lvds-n and lvds-p to down ISERDES, It is used ddr technology. The way can used 16 bits input to ISERDES.

Sinitron

"Kolja Sulimma" ???????:4360ac7d$0$21955$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.arcor-online.net...

Reply to
???