Xilinx FPGA Editor - can one see the switch box detail?

Today I was playing with the Xilinx FPGA Editor tool, trying to learn a little about manual P&R, in case I someday need that skill. I've had some luck, but it seems that what I need to know (when I'm selecting wires for a manual route) is which pins on a switch box can be connected. Do you just have to guess, or can that info be displayed somehow? Or maybe there is some pattern to the switch box innards that I don't understand?

Also, the Help file is a bit terse. Are there tutorials, app notes, resources for self-study on operating this tool?

Thanks, Barry Brown

Reply to
Barry Brown

If you actually click on the "circle" where the route terminates at the switchbox, it will show you what connections are posssible.

The lines in yellow indicate forward signal paths (i.e. places you can go from where you clicked). The lines in olive green indicate the opposite (i.e. places from which you could arrive at the point you clicked).

Reply to
Eric Crabill

The switch box detail can be displayed - it's one of the icons in the toolbar. If you zoom in close enough, then click on one of the ports of the switch box (the little diamonds around the edge), it will show the internal connections from that port.

They aren't all displayed simultaneously, since they are so massively connected it would be a completely unintelligible mess. Even just showing one source port at a time, it's pretty hard to follow.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams

Hi Barry,

If you select a pin on a switch box (point and click)FPGA Editor will display all of the possible switch box paths to/from that pin. The editor is well documented, but there is a lot more functionality than meets the eye, so ask away.

Regards, Bret

Reply to
Bret Wade