Xilinx 6.1i on Red Hat 9

It seems to be possible to run the Xilinx 6.1i tools on Red Hat 9; I though I'd post the details to save people Googling for the answer.

For the install,

bash# cd /mnt/cdrom bash# LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 ./setup

for each of the two CD-ROMs. There is a warning message early on about some U/Win (sp?) library, which I ignored. Assuming one chooses /opt/xilinx for the install location, the following lines would go into .bashrc:

export XILINX=/opt/xilinx export PATH=/opt/xilinx/bin/lin:$PATH export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/xilinx/bin/lin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

The command-line tools (xst, par, etc.) seem not to require the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL magic, but GUI tools like the FPGA editor do require it.

I have no deep knowledge of what this environment variable does to glibc, only that it works for me, so far. I suppose Xilinx may or may not "support" this.

Cheers, Peter Monta

Reply to
Peter Monta

OK, How 'bout SuSE 8? Or better yet, SLES8 for AMD64?

-- Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. steve at icarus.com But I have promises to keep,

and lines to code before I sleep,
And lines to code before I sleep."

Reply to
Stephen Williams

I don't know, but I guess any glibc-2.3-based distribution would need a similar trick. I wouldn't mind having one of the latter boxes :-).

Incidentally, there's a problem with using LD_LIBRARY_PATH: Xilinx unaccountably includes a libstdc++ in their library directory---this will cause apps to use it rather than the system library if they search it first. This interferes with, among other things, Icarus Verilog.

So best to either prepend the system library directories to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or add the Xilinx library directory to /etc/ld.so.conf (I believe ld.so/ldconfig will keep the order).

Cheers, Peter Monta

Reply to
Peter Monta