Installing BaseX

So, BaseX has arrived, but it won't install on Fedora core 2:

[root@atlantis cdrom]# ./setup /mnt/cdrom/xilsetup: relocation error: /mnt/cdrom/bin/lin/libwinsock44.so: symbol h_errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

so after a bit of googling, I tried the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 trick, and got:

[root@atlantis cdrom]# setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.1 [root@atlantis cdrom]# ./setup Wind/U Error (294): Unable to install Wind/U ini file (/mnt/cdrom/data/WindU). See the Wind/U manual for more details on the ".WindU" file and the "WINDU" environment variable. Wind/U X-toolkit Error: wuDisplay: Can't open display

This was a bit of a puzzle because I was running it from a terminal window on a Gnome desktop. Just to check I did:

[root@atlantis /]# echo $DISPLAY :0.0

So nothing wrong there. I decided I'd post a plea for help on news, switched to my mac (I use a mac for mail & news so I don't have to care about virii or outlook worms etc.), ssh'd into the linux box and ran the program, so I could cut'n'paste the errors.

The damn th [root@atlantis ~]# echo $DISPLAY localhost:10.0

(which is the standard ssh route-X-protocol DISPLAY variable). So was there something wrong with :0.0 on its' own ? Apparently so, because if you do:

[root@atlantis /]# setenv DISPLAY :0 [root@atlantis /]# /mnt/cdrom/setup

... it works just fine and dandy, so I now have BaseX installed and (apparently, I haven't fully tested it yet) working on a fedora core 2 box. Hopefully the above will allow others to more-easily install it... The DISPLAY variable *cannot* be the default value ":0.0", it *must* be either a "hostname:x.y" or ":0"

Simon

Reply to
Simon