Paging Peter Alfke (3S1000 pricing)

You mentioned in a recent thread that the 3S1000 would sell for $20 in CY2004 in the slowest speed grade and large quantities.

I was recently quoted $85.65 for XC3S1000-4FG676C in 5000s for CY2004. Is there really such a huge difference between 5000 piece prices and "large quantities"?

I ended up going with an off-the-shelf solution as being more cost-effective, but a $35 ish price might have made for a different decision.

Reply to
Pete Fraser

Peter Alfke

Howdy Pete,

Believe me, you are not anywhere near "large quantities." Xilinx uses that phrase when they put useless prices in their press releases - it most often refers to 250k pieces a year, so you are only off by 50x. See

or almost any other of their recent press releases for examples.

Have fun,

Marc

Reply to
Marc Randolph

He may be nowhere near the quarter million pieces to get the optimum price, but I bet with a little arm twisting - I mean, by asking nicely - he can get $30 or better. When a part is new a chip maker will try very hard to get early design wins. Without them their parts will wither on the vine and never recover. I don't think 5000 pieces a year is anything to ignore in this market. He actually said he would be ordering in 5000 piece quantities, so the annual volume may be much larger.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.