X-Fest devkit order leadtimes & software silliness....

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this.... After the recent X-Fest seminar in Cambridge UK, I ordered the Memex FPGA Design Starter kit on the x-fest special offer, as it was a cheap way to get the BaseX software. I'm now told that the kit won't be shipped til mid-August. I have no problem with that as I don't need the hardware immediately & already have the S3 starter kit..

However when I contacted Memec to ask if they could ship the software immediately (which Incidentally they charged my card for 2 weeks ago), they claimed that this wasn't possible, and when I pressed them they said they'd ask Xilinx but were fairly sure they wouldn't do it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who ordered this offer as it was a very good deal compared to the normal price - has anyone else had any joy getting the software out of them ahead of the hardware ?

Seems like a pretty daft situation.....

Reply to
Mike Harrison

If you just need synthesis, p&r, then ISE Webpack can be used as a stop gap for Spartan-3 devices up to XC3S1500.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

Design Starter kit on the

problem with that as I don't

immediately (which

wasn't possible, and when

wouldn't do it.

deal compared to the

them ahead of the hardware ?

Same deal downunder, Mike, I'm making do with a 60 day version of the software while waiting, which the local FAE has promised to refresh for me if the kit takes too long.

Cheers

-- Alf snipped-for-privacy@remove.the.obvious.ieee.org.y,

Reply to
Unbeliever

That's what I'm using, but I'm told that BlockRam is difficult to use if you don't have the CoreGen part which doesn't come with Webpack - not looked into this yet though.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Depends what config you want. If it is just a single blockram, or a single depth of blockram, then that is simple to instantiate. The Xilinx libraries guide is a good place to start for info. Look for RAMB16 as a root name. There are also some templates listed in ISE for instantiation which you can adapt to fit any particular RAMB16 variant listed in the libraries guide if not directly listed in the templates.

If you need less than 16K address locations then you should get away with a single depth of block ram, e.g. a 16 KByte ram would be 16 block rams on a x1 organisation supplying one data bit each. Don't need data muxing this way or any modifications on address.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

thanks - I'll take a look at that when I get a chance - I'll probably end up needing 4 or 5 seperate small blocks in different configurations but I'm still starting on the learning curve so there's probably enough to get started at least. I also noticed that the S3 kit CD has a 60 day eval of Foundation so I imagine I can install that to generate the parts I need if necessary.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Design Starter kit on the

problem with that as I don't

immediately (which

wasn't possible, and when

wouldn't do it.

deal compared to the

them ahead of the hardware ?

Hi Mike,

I haven't ordered mine yet (still in shock at the 8-10 weeks delivery). I'm fairly horrified that they charged your card before they had the stuff to send.

I'm going to copy this to the Xilinx Apps manager and see what happens.

On past experience (are you there Xilinx !!) it won't be much - I'm still waiting for price and delivery from Memec re S3E parts from an enquiry I made on 20th May.

Michael Kellett

Reply to
MK

I did order a 9500 kit on the same order which is due to ship now so I'm not especially bothered about that aspect.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

"MK" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:d8ccr7$hg9$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk...

FPGA

this

good

I'm

It was VERY surprising to see Memect to offer S3E kits, but all their leaflets with pictures of the S3E kits where made with 'blurred' image of the Xilinx S3E chips so it was quite clear the photos where FAKED, eg they did use dummy packages for photo shooting. So for me it was also clear that there is no hope to expect actual deliveries before late august/september. business as usual (for Memec) announce, charge and let customer to wait for

6+ months.

If I would have any trust that Memec can deliver (orderdable products from their web shop) I would have ordered the S3E kit rigth away, but knowing the past I did not bother.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

uh ? which part is supposed to be hard ? in the very worst case one's got to write a tiny script to generate INIT_xx content to preinitalize BlockRAM contents... otherwise everything's there - including instantiation templates ready to cut and paste from Language Templates

lukasz (happily using tons of BlockRAMs without even touching coregen)

Reply to
Lukasz Salwinski

It'll be interesting to see when xilinx/digilentinc start shipping the S3e starter kit, supposedly july .

A place holder has been added for it in the xilinx online store

Has anyone else seen the announcement that avnet have bought memec from about a month ago ?

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

"Alex Gibson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...