Why 18X18 Multipliers in Altera and Xilinx?

Most of the commercial DSP processors today have 16X16 or 32X32 bit signed multilpiers. Why do Altera and Xilinx provide 18X18 multilpiers?

Also, what is the use of a single parity bit with each byte? As far as i can understand it will only allow for error detection for a single bit flip (which is the simplest form of error detection). Are there any other uses of this parity bit?

Reply to
debo

Single bit error detection is sufficient for most applications. If you are using 64 bit data paths then 1 bit per byte adds up to eight extra bits which is sufficient for a single bit correction, double bit detection ECC code.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Actually 18 bits makes sense for parity, which is why the block RAMs are 18 or 36 bits wide rather than 16 or 32. The multiplier would normally only work on data, not parity. My guess is that Xilinx picked 18 bits to use the common routing resources available at the block RAM site (each multiplier shares routing with an adjacent 18 Kbit block RAM). In an FPGA data width is arbitrary unless you're using an embedded processor. 18 bits is as reasonable a size as any other, and

2 bits better than 16 (you d>
Reply to
Gabor Szakacs

Hello Gabor,

Your reply seems reasonable but that cannot explain why even Altera gives 18X18 multilpiers? You are right that in case of an FPGA any data width would do, but if we look at the conventional DSP designs or DSP processors we see that normally 8bits, 16bits or 32 bits are used. This would mean that many of the designs that are imeplemented in these FPGAs would also have

8/16/32 bit data widths. So does this mean that Xilinx gave it to integrate with its memory and Altera gave it because XIlinx gave it?

Regards, Deboleena.

Reply to
deboleena.minz