VGA display

Hi! I' m working to a project a little difficult for me, 'cause for the first time I have to simulate a chess game using Fpga and verilog language. I need your advices! :-) Most of the project is realized. Final parts concern VGA display. I know I must work using HS and VS signals, but I don't know rightly how to simulate all that into verilog. I will be very happy if there's someone who can help me or suggest some books about VGA display. Thanx a lot! ^___^

Reply to
Abby

Dear Abby: You might find Keith Jack's book "Video Demystified" to be useful. If you are code-centric, then find a copy of IBM's original "AT Technical Reference Manual". Thats the 5x7 inch book in the blue cover.Barring that, try Richard Ferraro's book "Programmers Guide to the EGA and VGA cards". And lastly, if finding those is difficult or costly, try searching google with some of the titles above as keywords and I suspect you will find a treasure of information available.

Charles

cfk

"cfk" ha scritto nel messaggio news:L8t6b.10410

Thank you very much Charles!!! I will try to search for some of titles you said to me. I hope to solve my problem.

Reply to
Abby

You also might be interested in following link :

It has a very simple vga-interface implemented in VHDL. Might be enough to kickstart your design.

Reply to
Jan Kindt

can I suggest taking a look to this tutorial?

Jean

Jean Nicolle

"Jean Nicolle" >

can I suggest taking a look to this tutorial?

Yeah, It's wonderful!! Thx!!! :-***

Reply to
Abby

"Jan Kindt" ha scritto nel messaggio > You also might be interested in following link :

Thank you very much! I don't know VHDL language, but I think this file will be very useful when I will start to work with VHDL too!

Thanx to all!

Reply to
Abby

You should be careful to try to get as close as you can to the exact timing values. We had a lab-full of students implementing VGA controllers as part of their end-of-semester project, and they managed to burn out quite a few monitors before they got the kinks worked out (luckily, they were old monitors just laying around the lab, but the lab techs still weren't too happy with them ;). I suggest you find up a beat-up old monitor that someone is throwing out to use for your tests... Have fun, Pierre-Olivier

Reply to
PO Laprise