NTSC/VGA / Ethernet Advice for S3EBOARD from Digilent

I just bought the S3EBOARD from Digilent

to be my first FPGA board.

For my first project I want to make an ADM3 serial terminal emulator with telnet over ethernet ability. It will just be a character based display with PS/2 keyboard for input and VGA for output, and the serial port for the terminal in/output. My plan is to use one of the slide switches to select VGA or NTSC. NTSC video would be provided using a little PCB connected to the VGA connector (just black and white video from 2 wires). The switch would just tell the FPGA what timing and video method to use.

That part is simple. The other thing I would like to do is use the ethernet interface to allow external clients to telnet to the serial terminal.

I have read about using the MicroBlaze core and lwip, so I am reading about those to try and see if they will help me any.

Any suggestions or hints that would help me with this project? Any sample code on 1 bit NTSC (B/W) using two wires and a few resistors?

I think the hard part will be the telnet function. Hopefully this board comes with PS/2 and VGA code examples! Does anyone have this board know what kind of examples it comes with?

Reply to
logjam

if you want telnet, you need an IP stack, so you need an OS... then try uClinux and you are done !

see

for the reference design (or xilinx xapp730.pdf) and follow guidelines. runs perfectly out of the box see also
(same design)

all you need is an EDK tools chain

enjoy

Reply to
rponsard

If you want to simplify your video, take a look at the projects on fpgaarcade or c-one that use a scan-doubler to convert composite output to vga. If you connect your resistor dac to gpio on the board rather than the vga port, you can output both simultaneously.

If you google around you'll find a few samples of ntsc/pal out there. Most of what I've seen relate to games on FPGA...

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

I guess I should have bought my development board from xilinx instead of digilent. I've been trying to find a trial version of the EDK from xilinx but I'm not having any luck. From the posts I've read here, it doesn't sound like its available.

Are there any xilinx employees in here who could put the trial up for download? I'm just doing this for a hobby and can't begin to justify a $500 program unless I know that it is what I want. :( I don't understand why the same product from digilent doesn't come with any software...

Grant

Reply to
logjam