Matlab: What do I need for modeling?

I'm not intimately familiar with Matlab, and I'd like to know which pieces I need for a project. Normally I get filter coefficients from ScopeFIR, and then go straight to Verilog. Sometimes I model FIR filters, mixers, etc., using behavioral Verilog, but more often than not I just go straight to the synthesizable Verilog. I can simulate this in Modelsim and do a DFT on the results using ScopeDSP. Then I can change bitwidths or filter lengths based on the results.

What if I need to make a Matlab model before making synthesizable code? It seems to me that making a behavioral Verilog model is just faster and easier to use as a base for synthesizable code, but I haven't used Matlab in a while so perhaps I'm mistaken. Do you know which of the many toolboxes and add-ons I'd need to do this? I just want to make a simple fixed-point model of the DSP chain, including FIR filters and mixers. Can I do this with just the basic Matlab package? I don't even need Matlab to generate the coefficients or to make pretty block diagrams or plots.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Neilson