using multilinx from ISE to download a bit file

I have ISE 5.2 on winXP and I have a multilinx download cable.

I am trying to download a bit file via the multilinx cable.

With earlier tools ( 3.x ) I would just start the Hardware debuuger and select File open to import the bit file. I would then select download.

BUT

With ISE there is no hardware debugger that I can see.

I searched the HELP Index under Multilinx , Download , Hardware debugger and came up empty.

The user interface of ISE looks organized and clean but the methodology is a mystry to me. Just how do I get the ISE tool to import my bit file and send it to the multilinx cable ?

Thanks Dan

Reply to
Dan DeConinck

You can use iMPACT for that (Start -> Programs -> Xilinx ISE 5 -> Accessories -> iMPACT). It usually auto-detects any cables hooked up to your PC and all the FPGA and PROM devices connected to it. It then prompts you for the bit file(s) to program into each device.

In ISE Project Navigator, it's started when you double click on "Configure Devices (iMPACT)" in the "Generate Programming File" process on the bottom.

You can also run iMPACT in batch mode, which might be more comfortable. See the "iMPACT User Guide" (Xilinx ISE 5 -> Documentation -> Online Software Manuals Index -> iMPACT User Guide) for details.

--
Sean Durkin
Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits (IIS)

mailto:23@iis.42.de
([23 , 42]  [durkinsn , fraunhofer])
Reply to
Sean Durkin