Updating Xilinx Bitstream/HEX file

Hi all.

I am working on a project which is targetted on a Xilinx Virtex2Pro xc2vp30. To debug the logic that I am developing I sometimes need to modify the code that is executed by one of the two PPC available inside the fpga. The code is completely stored in internal BRAM so if I change it I need to update the bitstrem of the device and to me this seems quite easy: just press the button "Update Bitstream" in Project Studio (version 6.3). But, since the file used to configure the fpga is an hex file created by Project Navigator (version 6.3.03i) every time a software change is required I am forced to re-generate the hardware which takes at least 40 minutes. I thought that after having updated the bitstream in Project Studio it would have been enought to select the icon "Generate PROM, ACE or JTAG File" in Project Navigator and choose "Open without Updating" but this solution generated a completely not working version of the hw (verified with ChipScope), no matter of the software changes that were made.

I already looked into the documentation provided with the tools, I searched on Xilinx website and on the net but I did not find any answer to my problem. Have someone already faced this issued? Did he/she solved it?

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea Sabatini

Reply to
Andrea Sabatini

I will admit that a similar situation, I generally don't use the XPS gui, but I do use the ISE gui.

If all I do is make code changes, then my procedure is to do "make program", which I am guessing corresponds to clicking the "Compile Program Sources" button in XPS. Then when I go to ISE, the only thing it needs to rerun is "Generate Programming File". These two steps take a couple of minutes.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).
Reply to

Clark,

Thank you for your reply. I will try your suggestion hoping it will work fine in my case too.

Regards,

Andrea Sabatini

Reply to
Andrea Sabatini