The Luddite Needs Reference Books...

Luddite Me, who's forgotten most of the Verilog he once knew, needs to start doing serious HDL-based design. No more schematic-orphans for me.

Are there good reference books for Verilog or VHDL? Ideally, something akin to Java in a Nutshell (Java), the Post Script Red (language reference) and Blue (tutorial and cookbook) series, or K&R?

Thanks.

Nicholas C. Weaver

Sounds like you need a copy of the verilog standard. You can buy it on ieee's site, its about $100.

Ljubisa Bajic ATI Technologies

--- My opinions do not represent those of my employer. ---

Reply to
Ljubisa Bajic

Reply to
Jerry

VHDL

Doug Smith, "HDL Chip Design".

[*****-SELF PUBLICITY ALERT *****]

Have you looked at our Golden Reference Guides? Not for beginners, but then you're not a beginner :-) We give them away on courses, but you can buy them via the website (no e-commerce just yet, sorry; you have to fax back an order form):

cheers

-- Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Verification * Project Services

Doulos Ltd. Church Hatch, 22 Market Place, Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24 1AW, UK Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail: snipped-for-privacy@doulos.com Fax: +44 (0)1425 471573 Web:

The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.

Reply to
Jonathan Bromley

Nicholas,

I still use Palnitkar's _Verilog HDL_ book, along with Stuart Sutherland's _Verilog 2001_ book and reference guides (which came with the book).

There may be an updated version of the former -- I bought it in 1996

-- but it still covers most of the stuff that'll jog your memory. The latter explicitly details the differences between Verilog-95 and Verilog-2001.

You probably want a copy of Janick Bergeron's _Writing Test Benches_, too, as it has a lot of good stuff.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

This may be of use: