Does any Reference design needs any UL, CE, FCC certification to sell commerecially?

Does any Reference design needs any UL, CE, FCC certification to sell commerecially to some schools or Institutes?.

Reply to
GS

Yep its basically a proof of function, not a proof of legal wotsits.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Can't speak for CE, but the other two depend on exactly what you are selling and who you are selling it to. Equipment intended for evaluation in a laboratory context is not the same as equipment for general use in a classroom.

Reply to
larwe

Well, these are prototypes, we are developing some application, we need somebody has to test some software on this too, do we need certification during working on prototypes, or certification is required only for commercial sale?.

Reply to
GS

Prototypes are a special case, though.

UL - Probably not. You'll probably never need UL on this equipment unless your target customers have specific requirements or the product inherently requires UL listing.

FCC - Not required if you are not offering it for sale. Beyond that it gets complicated, but if this is not an intentional radiator and it can be classified as "industrial" equipment you might be covered under Class A.

As a practical matter, I have never seen a piece of evaluation/lab hardware that was FCC listed :)

Read Part 15. Self-certifying might not be too onerous; depends how much you're willing to spend if you don't have the equipment to do it yourself.

Reply to
larwe

This is Data communication equipment, which conytains a general purpose Processor, couple of serial porta and couple of ethernet ports, that's all. I have to develop prototype and then I have to give it to couple of people to do some tests, also some schools to do some tests, incase if some schools want more quantity, I can offer, mainly I wanted to know whether do I need any certification, basic certification something like that?. need advice. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
GS

If it is not for sale then you do not have to get FCC cert. It would be prudent to take it into a screen room and see exactly what it is throwing off, but you don't have to.

Reply to
larwe

Suppose if we want to give this for some trail for other companies then they like it, then do we have to get all Three CE, UL and FCC certifications or one is OK?. also howabout if we want to offer this products international in Europe and Asia, do we have to get each conutry's some official certifications?. Please let me know.

Reply to
GS

You need to talk to a testing laboratory. Spend some money, get some reliable information. What I am saying in this thread is not legal advice, and if you rely on it, you might find yourself in trouble. Doubly so because you appear not to be understanding what I am telling you.

I'll repeat what I've said before, which covers my entire knowledge of the situation.

FCC - Not required for product that is (a) not intentional radiator, and (b) not offered for sale, i.e. field trial. Might not be required for the end item depending on what it is and how it is sold. CE - I don't know. UL - Might be required by the customer, you have to ask them. Not inherently necessary in order to sell a product. Local authority having jurisdiction in a particular area might require UL as part of, for instance, local building code.

Specific legislation for Europe, Asia Pacific, Australia C-tick etc - you need to talk to a testing laboratory with experience in those regions. Europe's requirements are not unified on many things. It depends on your product.

Reply to
larwe