Suggestions on good books

I'm looking for a good book that goes deeply into theory about transmission lines and crosstalk in high speed communications systems. If anyone has any good references, please let me know.

I have the book High-Speed Digital Design by Howard Johnson, which has some good stuff in it, but I'm looking for another reference which gives detailed attention to crosstalk. In particular, how crosstalk is modelled, and methods for mitigating crosstalk.

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

Reply to
Michael Chan

Hi, I can suggest a user group hosted by cadence, spetraquest.com. You can post your queries out there regarding EMI issues and can get the answers from experts. Regards, Fahad

Reply to
fad

Nichael,

There are many books on E&M theory that detail the basis for calculating cross-talk, but I am not sure that is going to help you at all.

Of more interest is calculating quickly the cross-talk coupling that you actually have in your system?

To do that, it is a question of which tools to use.

A few simplistic formulas from a textbook will give you the theory, but they will not be useful in finding what the actual cross-talk is.

A complete and accurate solution to any E&M problem can be found by packages such as Ansoft's field solvers. Next on my list would be Sigrity's modeling software. Cadence and Mentor both have signal integrity packages which will extract parameters from your printed circuit board, and report the cross-talk. One of my favorites is Mentor's Hyperlynx which is a lower cost (and lower featured) version of the more powerful (and capable) signal integrity tool suites -- and is very easy to use.

Of course, spice has the W, T, and U transmission line models, and each model is useful for different reasons. Not all model types are supported by all versions of spice ('hspice' has them all).

For theory, I use Ramo, Whinnery, and Van Duzer "Fields and Waves in Communications Electronics" only because I took the course from Whinnery ~30 years ago.

Aust> I'm looking for a good book that goes deeply into theory about transmission

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Michael,

I don't know a good book, but a few web sites were helpful for me, and may serve as a starting point.

At

you can find a tool for computing the mutual inductance and capacitance matrices from conductor cross-sections. The matrices can be used with PSpice to simulate crosstalk. I experienced good agreement between the explicit formulas in the topmost reference, the simulations, and later the measurements at the PCBs. It appears that with the appropriate design style you can drastically reduce XT - to a point where it is of no concern any more. I have a bus of

36 single-ended lines, each wire being 0.1mm (4mil) wide and only 0.21mm apart from each neighbor (edge to edge), running strictly parallel for >30cm (12"). Rise time is I'm looking for a good book that goes deeply into theory about
Reply to
Gunter Knittel

I strongly recommend "Signal Integrity Simplified" by Eric Bogatin. It's well-written, and manages to go into a lot of detail without overwhelming the SI newcomer. And there's a 68-page chapter on crosstalk.

Bob Perlman Cambrian Design Works

Reply to
Bob Perlman

Thanks for the list of interesting links and documents.

I agree with what you said about using stripline to greatly reduce forward crosstalk. But I don't agree that backward crosstalk can be controlled with series termination, at least not in a way that's generally useful. If you have two co-located drivers sending signals along parallel traces to two co-located receivers somewhere else on your board, series termination certainly helps control reflections on both lines. But you'll still see the effects of backward crosstalk at the receivers between time T and 3T, where T is the one-way line delay. Give it a try in a SPICE coupled-line simulation.

By the way, the first edition of "High-Speed Digital Design" got this wrong. Section 5.7.6 originally suggested that series termination would improve crosstalk considerably; this has been amended in the errata

If Howard Johnson can get it wrong, you know it's tricky.

Bob Perlman Cambrian Design Works

Reply to
Bob Perlman

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll look into the suggested links and books.

Cheers,

Michael.

Reply to
Michael Chan

Bob,

I'd still say that series termination reduces crosstalk since none of the backward crosstalk of the forward signal gets reflected towards the receiver. So one more contribution is removed. Other than that, I think you're right, thanks for pointing that out! We will see backward crosstalk from the reflected signal - except of course there is some kind of termination at the receiver.

I guess I was too generous in my previous statement since in my configuration, backward crosstalk appears to be no big problem at all. According to my simulations, two aggressor lines driven to 3.3V couple into a victim line in the middle no more than 100mV at the receiver. On the scope I see a little more than that, but still well below the threshold.

Gunter

Reply to
Gunter Knittel