Spartan3 initialization with DSP

Hi, I have to initialize a Spartan3 with a Blackfin DSP. I was thinking to connect the CCLK and DIN pins to the serial port of the DSP (SPORT), but while the DIN is dual-purpose, the CCLK is dedicated. I'll then need, when all properly configured, FPGA and DSP to communicate with the SPORT once again for the normal work of the board. Here comes the issue because the CCLK used for the initialization has to be substituted with the serial protocol clock (as long as the former is a dedicated one and no more available after start-up). What do you suggest me to do? To put the 2 clock of the Spartan3 on the same path to the input pin of the SPORT clock on the DSP side, keeping the normal clock on high impedance during the configuration, ie when the initialization clock works, and the opposite after the setup process? Anyone had to solve similar issues? Thanks in advance, Marco

Reply to
Marco

"Marco" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

2 options

1) use Spartan3e there CCLK is dual purpose

2) add user IO in parallel to CCLK to be able to use it after configuration, the 'normal' clock is automatically tri stated when FPGA is not configured so it want matter, as long as the DSP can pull prog_b to force (re)configuration
--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

Thanks Antti, I'll go with option 2 as long as I have to use Spartan3, do you think there's something I should take particular care about working this way? I'll need to do the same for the DONE signal, in order not to waste the DSP input. Thanks, Marco

Reply to
Marco

The CCLK pin goes High-Z after configuration and this lets me use the signal put in parallel to work with the same DSP input, what about the DONE pin? It seems I can't I convert it to High-Z too, right? Thanks

Reply to
Marco

When I had to interface an Altera device to an ADSP-2187, I simply bit-banged the configuration into the FPGA., rather than use the SPORT. The latter was also needed for data transfer, and it seemed easier to do it that way.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Leon, sorry, could you explain me more in detail what you've done? Thanks

Reply to
Marco

'Bit-banging' is slang for clocking out the data by manipulating pins with software, instead of using hardware, which is how it is done in the SPORTs. It's often used for asynchronous comms (a software UART), and for synchronous protocols like SPI, and FPGA configuration.

It was a long time ago, and t've got the software somewhere. It was quite straightforward, using the Altera documentation.

Leon

Reply to
Leon