simulating code loading in memory and jumping to memory

Hi,

I use EDK/ISE/Modelsim. Just want to make some tests and learn on this subject, i would like to create a small system like : microblaze external sdram or ddr uart.

The code I will have is to loop on a xil_printf of hello world on the UART.

So I will generate an elf file to do this.

Secondly, I will write some kind of bootloader in BRAM that will read the elf file under modelsim and write it into the Sdram or ddr. Once it is done, I'll jump program to external sdram/ddr to have hello world running.

What would be the best way to read the .elf file during simulation and write it to opb/plb sdram/ddr ??? Then what is the best way to jump from internal BRAM execution to external sdram execution ?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
sjulhes

Maybe you can you use xmd. Look at the documentation pdf for more information. I'm a student and I'm also trying to set data on ddr but i'm using powerpc. Can you help with it?

Reply to
googlie

I guess we have the same questions !

How to compile soft projects How to analyze linking, obj files, linkerscripts, elf content .. Transfering code to external memory Jump to external memory execution

I'm looking for answers, I have no answers yet !

"googlie" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
sjulhes

I will contact you if i have further information. But how can you simple write and read to ddr?

Reply to
googlie

Hi, EDK does all this stuff that you want on the background and u can just keep clicking buttons...Here are the answers to your questions .=2E.

1 ) How to compile soft projects -- I guess you know this..in the EDK GUI, just hit the applications tab and add a software project (add all the source and the header files ) The other way is when you create is a simple EDK 7=2E1 project, it creates two sample Software Projects (TestApp_Memory and TestApp_Peripheral) ..So you can just replace the the source files in either of the projects 2) How to analyze linking, obj files, linkerscripts, elf content .=2E I dont' know the complete answer to this question but..I mean you have the source for the Linker Script, and your own sources.. I dunno if there is any other specific reason that you need the content of the elf file for. 3) Transferring code to external memory This is not a big deal at all.. When hit the applications tab and highlight your software project, there will be an option which says Generate Linker Script. So just click on that and a Window will pop up... In that window change all the contents to DDR_SDRAM ( or whatever your external memory ) ..Before you do this make sure that you have DDR ( or external memory in your system ) 4) Jump to external memory execution Thats what u do in the Linker Script....

Feel free to e-mail me in case you have any other questions...

-- Parag

sjulhes wrote:

Reply to
beeraka

Hi, Do you want to write to the DDR from any of the Buses (OPB , PLB ) or from the PowerPC

-- Parag

googlie wrote:

Reply to
beeraka

Hi,

Have a look to xapp642, it gives some more infomation to undestand what bootloading is all about !

"googlie" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
sjulhes

Hi,

Thank you for your time.

But I know all this methods, the thing is that I'd like to understand what is behind all these button clics series !

I have good skills on handling hardware platfoms with EDK, I'm fine with writing low level C routines, I have some knowledges about software basics notions like compiling, linking, linker scripts, so I want to learn about it !

The fact is I don't know from where to start and I can"t get to find a complete, simple, example I could analyze !

I've some more information in XAPP642, so I'm studying this.

Thanks.

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... Hi, EDK does all this stuff that you want on the background and u can just keep clicking buttons...Here are the answers to your questions ...

1 ) How to compile soft projects -- I guess you know this..in the EDK GUI, just hit the applications tab and add a software project (add all the source and the header files ) The other way is when you create is a simple EDK 7.1 project, it creates two sample Software Projects (TestApp_Memory and TestApp_Peripheral) ..So you can just replace the the source files in either of the projects 2) How to analyze linking, obj files, linkerscripts, elf content .. I dont' know the complete answer to this question but..I mean you have the source for the Linker Script, and your own sources.. I dunno if there is any other specific reason that you need the content of the elf file for. 3) Transferring code to external memory This is not a big deal at all.. When hit the applications tab and highlight your software project, there will be an option which says Generate Linker Script. So just click on that and a Window will pop up... In that window change all the contents to DDR_SDRAM ( or whatever your external memory ) ..Before you do this make sure that you have DDR ( or external memory in your system ) 4) Jump to external memory execution Thats what u do in the Linker Script....

Feel free to e-mail me in case you have any other questions...

-- Parag

sjulhes wrote:

Reply to
sjulhes