Schematic Entry, Xilinx or Altera?

Reply to
Marc Guardiani

Sure, one can do nasty async design in schematics, or in VHDL for that matter. But S/360 and Cray and the HP35 and moon rockets were designed before HDLs, and they worked fine. Some people were good at logic design a long time before FPGAs were invented.

I don't have time to learn an HDL. I read the Xilinx book, draw schematics (on paper!), and hand them to a minion to enter and compile. Works great.

John

And some people are still quite lousy with logic design despite having FPGAs and the best HDLs. HDLs do not make a good logic designer, they are simply a tool.

Reply to
Ray Andraka

Altera In the field of both user interface and functionlity.

Reply to
hitsx

Ah! The academic solution. Where have all the minions gone? Long time passing ...

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Absolutely.