Suggestions/Recommendations with CPLD's and Software

I'm looking for some suggestions/recommendations with CPLD's and development software.

I'm new to CPLD's and a couple projects of mine will involve redesigning existing "though hole" hardware using a CPLD. I've researching some Xilinx products, and believe the 9500 series will do everything I need, as my needs really aren't that great. My only issue with the ISE software is I need to recreate all the TTL IC logic from scratch, which will prove to be very time consuming. I was hoping to find a design package that would already have existing "groups" of TTL logic designed so I won't have to take as much time with the schematic design and layout. For example in ISE it took me about

15 minutes just to draw the logic to a 74LS245. Only took me 3 minutes to "wire" it up.

Any recommendations on other companies, other software and your experiences with them would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Henry

GSE-Reactive.com

My email is listed on the site if you wish to contact me directly.

Reply to
Henry

Although it's possible to do things in ISE with schematics, you would probably be far better off using Verilog or VHDL.

i.e. specify the behaviour of the circuit rather than try to directly emulate existing TTL.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

I can recommend Altera's Quartus software, which has libraries for 7400 series parts.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Then you're missing something. True, the Xilinx library isn't listed in terms of 74XX TTL, but all of the functions are there. Lessee - I've got a schematic up on the other computer right now ... In schematic design mode, the symbol library has 13 categories: Arithmetic, Buffer, Comparator, Counter, Decoder, Flip_Flop, General, IO, Latch, Mux, Shift_Register, and Shifter. Under "buffer", for example, there's buf, buf16, buf4, buf8, bufe, bufe16, and so on a total of 15 different variations on "buffer". You'd have to pop it up and look at the symbols (or maybe RTFM) to figure out which function you need in a particular place.

They also have some excellent tutorials, e.g.:

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In article , Henry wrote: [...]

I'd suggest that you learn VHDL and descibe what the whole thing is supposed to do in VHDL. It is likely to be no faster on this project because it will include the learning time but on the next project it will save you a bunch of time.

The other thought is why not just make it SMT versions of the thru-hole stuff? .. or how about using a couple of 22V10s

[...]

Cypress's development tools are less nasty than Xilinx's.

Altera's Quartus, at last report, had a few bugs but works well enough.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I'm not naming names, but the one that's in front of me at the moment is so bad as to be quite funny, when I stop chewing the carpet.

They all seem to be a ragbag of odds and sods, carefully designed to hang when you're in a hurry, and make you jump through nearly as many hoops as VHDL does.

Still, I didn't pay much for it, and it's not open source, so I can't complain.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Yes, you can complain. It just won't do you any bloody good.