remove logic redundancy

Hello,

I'm developing a redundant design in ISE of Xilinx. When I simulate a design the tool shows the following message :

Unit : instances , of unit are equivalent, second instance is removed.

I need that the tool doesn't remove the redundant logic. I want to compare for exemplo a protected block with a umprotected block. I turn off some features the tool but it did not efect.

I would like to know if there is option or some thing in ISE that allows a redundant logic in a design because it is essential for me.

Sorry (bad english)

thank you ..

Reply to
hsfranck

Marlboro

Marlboro a =E9crit :

This is utterly wrong (besides, never rely too much on the tool's smartness). The tool simply sees that the two logic constructs have the same inputs and the same behaviour so it removes one of them. I haven't used ISE in some time but I know for sure that there is an option somewhere to keep it from removing redundant or equivalent logic. Or maybe it is an attribute. Search for "preserve" in the documentation.

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Matringe

What's about the output? If you don't have an output then the tool knows that you not gonna use it. As a result, it will remove the redundance. Sometimes I ran into this too, what I did was making up a dummy output for the second logic

That rings a bell

Reply to
Marlboro

Look up the keywords:

SAVE KEEP

If two identical blocks (including inputs) have each an output, if recognised, the logic is removed for one, and both outputs are driven from the remaining block.

Why would you want to have two blocks that did exactly the same thing?

With fully buffered interconnect, there is no delay penalty.

Austin

Reply to
Austin

Marlboro a =E9crit :

it

Ah sorry, in that case this is perfectly right. But I think the OP was talking about replicated logic with its outputs used.

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Matringe

To detect and/or mitigate against SEUs? Cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

In which case, you should either use the TMR Tool(tm), or be very very careful (not recommended without help from Xilinx). Many people have tried to perform manual methods to perform such mitigation, but without knowledge of how the tools work, and how the hardware actually works (not the fantasy presented by FPGA Editor), they all fail miserably.

Even the experts can make mistakes, and find their design has worse performance than an unmitigated one (adding anything at all, increases the failure rate, unless done properly).

If anyone is serious about mitigation (in spite of the excellent SEU FIT rates -- 10 to 30 times BETTER than an equivalent 90 or 65nm ASIC or ASSP*), then I suggest you work with your disti or Xilinx FAE, who knows how to do it.

Austin

  • Don't take my word for it, look it up for yourself. At SELSE II (2006), the industry consensus was ~1000 FIT/Mb for logic AND SRAM at
90nm and below for ASIC and ASSP. We publish our FIT rates. And you can see them anytime. If you really want FIT rates in the single digits, you have techniques in our FPGAs to get there (TMR, ECC, etc.).
Reply to
Austin