Programming Nios Ethernet Development Kit

Hi,

As part of a project my partner and I are required to use the APEX board and the NIOS Ethernet Development Kit for internet communication. We need an indepth understanding of the software code needed to program the ethernet board, e.g. initiallizing, sending, etc. however the manual and online resources don't have alot of information.

Is there anyone who has used the ethernet adapter board and has managed to make an application using it? because i'm having difficulty intialising the plug and using the structures avaible (from the manual) to get simple application going.. your help is most most appreciated!! :))

Colin

Hi Colin,

I talked to our application group. They don't have a nice document which shows how to create an Ethernet application. However, the example web server code is commented fairly well. If you have knowledge of sockets and then read through the Plugs manual and the example web server code, they believe you'll have a pretty good understanding of how things fit together. If you are doing something quite different from the web server, then it may be more difficult unless you understand sockets well. They suggest becoming familiar with sockets (if you aren't already) and then looking at the example web server code in the Nios installation (/examples/nios_apex_20k200/standard_cs8900_xx or standard_lan91c111_xx, depending on which MAC/PHY card you have).

Hope this is helpful, and good luck.

Vaughn Altera

Reply to
Vaughn Betz