NIOS: Run program from SDRAM

Hi, I have the NIOS developer board with APEX FPGA.It has a SODIMM socket for SDRAM module. I use a Micron MT8LSDT864HG-10ECS. I make a Quartus project based on verilog/standard_32. I use nios_32 CPU. I create a new memory configuration based on Micron datasheet and I put it into class.ptf from altera_avalon_new_sdram_controller. I write a simple program that can read and write memory maped in sdram. This configuration has Location Vector, Program and Data memory set to ext_ram which is SRAM. But next I change Progam and Data memory to sdram. Program is compiled correctly and srecord looks ok. I load it to board using nios-run. When program starts it prints only "Return address is 0x00000000" and returns to GERMS. The same situation is which all demo programs from cpu_sdk and my own programs. I will be very thankful for any help. Best regards, Maciej Witaszek

--
Maciej Witaszek
nospam_mwitaszek@elka.pw.edu.pl

remove "nospam_" from my address
Reply to
Maciej Witaszek

Hi Maciej,

Have you tried SignalTapping it? I've had similar problems, and found them pretty quickly by SignalTapping the Nios instruction and data pointer (IIRC, ic_address and dc_address) along with the Avalon signals going to/from external RAM. I think some of my problems ended up being stack corruption, I/O drive strength, and corruption with simultaneous multi-mastering.

-- Pete

Reply to
Peter Sommerfeld

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:58:26 +0200, Maciej Witaszek napisal:

I got SODIMM from laptop and compiled some simple design (only with UART & lcd). Worked from the first time. Board was the one with Apex20KE,

Have you tried "minimal_sdram_32" from examples directory?

PS: To juz taki czas, ze rodacy szukaja pomocy za granica? :-)

--
Jerry
Reply to

Hi jerry1111, where did you find "minimal_sdram_32"? I coudn't find it in Quartus 3.0 and

4.0 both Web Edition and in NIOS dev kit. I'm working now on my own design so it's posibble that I mixed up a wiring. I simulated a cpu with Verilog model of SDRAM from Micron and cpu read instruction from SDRAM. It looked ok. I don't what I'm doing wrong :(

Best regards, Maciej

PS. Milo, ze w Polsce tez sie ktos tym zajmuje :)

--
Maciej Witaszek
nospam_mwitaszek@elka.pw.edu.pl
remove "nospam_" from my address
Reply to
Maciej Witaszek

and

Maciej,

This may not pertain to the Apex board sample designs, but the Cyclone samples had a few ns delay on the SDRAM clock. My custom design with the same exact SDRAM chip had to have this delay removed. I was of course happy with this as I now have an unused pll available.

Ken

Reply to
Kenneth Land

Strange, but it disappeared in Nios 3.10 I can send it from older versions, but you must contact me on priv (watch out for anti-spam mail). That design was working, because I was in need of having huge data buffer.

A milo sie dowiedziec, bo myslalem ze nikt tego u nas nie uzywa...

--
Jerry
Reply to