mouse to Nios Development kit

Hi all,

I am doing a project and using Altera Nios Development kit with Stratix Edition. I need to connect a serial/PS/2 mouse to that board . But the board can't get any signal from the mouse, anyone has this experience can share with me?I have already set the UART 2 to 1200 baud rate. Thank you very much.

San

Reply to
clsan

Followup to: By author: "clsan" In newsgroup: comp.arch.fpga

Most mice need a particular combination of the control signals in order to enter serial mode (as opposed to PS/2 mode.) This probably means you need to use the CONSOLE port as opposed to the DEBUG port, and drive the proper signals.

You'd also need a null modem cable in between, since the NDK board is wired as a DCE instead of a DTE (a mistake in my opinion.)

-hpa

--
 at work,  in private!
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.

I have tried using the console uart instead of debug uart, it still can't work.

I have connected the mouse to the board by a serial cable.Any one have any document that I can refer to? Thank you very much.

San

"H. Peter Anvin" ??? news:bjj3di$j57$ snipped-for-privacy@cesium.transmeta.com ???...

Stratix

board

share

Reply to
clsan

Followup to: By author: "clsan" In newsgroup: comp.arch.fpga

Well, you need a null modem in between (the ports on the Nios card are wired DCE; the mouse expects to be connected to a DTE.)

Then, you need to find the exact combination of control signal outputs that the mouse expects. This is how the mouse is powered!!

-hpa

--
 at work,  in private!
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.
H. Peter Anvin

thx... I found that I can use the hyper terminal to communicate with the nios through the debug port, but I wonder whether the debug port has power pin to give the mouse.Do I need to do anything to activate the power pin or not?

Thank you very much

San

"H. Peter Anvin" ??? news:bjqb6b$5la$ snipped-for-privacy@cesium.transmeta.com ???...

can't

any

Reply to
clsan

Hi San,

You might check the dev. board schematic (installed into the Nios kit "documents/nios_stratix_1s10" folder) page 32, which goes over the RS232 connections between FPGA & DB9 connectors. We use the same circuit for both serial ports on the board. The distinction of communication vs. debug serial port is just for software purposes (where does STDOUT go...). For hardware development & interfacing purposes, both ports are functionally equivalent.

You might also look at whether the 'extra' UART pins are needed for your mouse (I personally don't have any experience with serial mice!). In the most basic UART you can create with SOPC Builder, there are TXD & RXD pins only (because we are just interfacing to a PC terminal). The remaining UART pins (RTS, CTS, etc.) are optional, and can be turned on by editing the UART details for the UART(s) in your SOPC Builder system...

Jesse Kempa Altera Corp. jkempa at altera dot com

Reply to
Jesse Kempa

Followup to: By author: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jesse Kempa) In newsgroup: comp.arch.fpga

At least on the Cyclone board, this is not true -- only the most basic pins are wired up on the DEBUG port (highly unfortunate IMO.)

-hpa

--
 at work,  in private!
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.
H. Peter Anvin

Yeah!!!!

I success!!! I have set the baud rate to 1200, no parity bit ,7 data bits and 1 stop bit Use the standard serial is not work Need to connect the pin on our own.

Mouse's RTS and GND need to connect to a 5V and GND respectively, they can be connected to 2 pins just besides the debug UART the mouse txd and rxd connect to the stratix board txd and rxd respectively.

"Jesse Kempa" ??? news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com ???...

pin to

not?

Reply to
clsan

Ooops, my apologies! I checked the Stratix edition schematic only. Thank you.

- Jesse

Reply to
Jesse Kempa