Problem in Constraining Routing in Xilinx PAR

Hi,

I am trying to place and route my design to a specific portion of the FPGA by using the Xilinx modular design flow, coupled with AREA_GROUP constraints. But the par for a module gives the following error message for some (not all) region constraints.

FATAL_ERROR:Route:basrtareacst.c:891:1.18.2.1 - Failed to compute route area extrema. Process will terminate. To resolve this error, please consult the Answers Database and other online resources at

If you need further assistance, please open a Webcase by clicking on the "WebCase" link at

I am using Xilinx xc2v40 device and ISE 6.1. THe UCF file is:

INST "u1" AREA_GROUP=g1; AREA_GROUP "g1" RANGE=SLICE_X0Y0:SLICE_X9Y5,SLICE_X10Y0:SLICE_X15Y3; AREA_GROUP g1 MODE=RECONFIG; AREA_GROUP g1 PLACE=CLOSED;

Could not find any help in the answers database at Xilinx. Can someone please help me?

Thanks in anticipation. Aman

Reply to
Aman Gayasen

I did not mention this in the previous post. This error seems to be coming only if I try to contrain the routing to non-rectangular regions. E.g.: Following UCF works fine: INST "u1" AREA_GROUP=g1; AREA_GROUP "g1" RANGE=SLICE_X0Y0:SLICE_X11Y7; AREA_GROUP g1 MODE=RECONFIG; AREA_GROUP g1 PLACE=CLOSED;

But following does not: INST "u1" AREA_GROUP=g1; AREA_GROUP "g1" RANGE=SLICE_X0Y0:SLICE_X9Y5,SLICE_X10Y0:SLICE_X15Y3; AREA_GROUP g1 MODE=RECONFIG; AREA_GROUP g1 PLACE=CLOSED;

Does this mean that I cannot constrain the routing to a region composed of multiple rectangles like above? Or am I making some mistake in the UCF?

I appreciate your reading this post. Thanks, Aman

Reply to
Aman Gayasen

Have you asked Xilinx? Open a webcase and they'll give you the answer. I'd guess that they probably are limited to rectangles, it would be pretty hard to handle other shapes.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Hi,

Modular Design does not support the use of non-rectangular area group ranges,

Miguel Silva

Reply to
Miguel Silva