platform cable usb II and efuses on spartan-6

has anyone managed to do anything with efuses on spartan-6?

I expected to use an old parallel cable since I usually have much need for jtag, but efuses are only supported with platform cable usb II, so I got bought one and got it installed and working on my 64bit win7 machine only to find out that efuse operations are only supported on 32bit winxp (atleast that is what the error mesage says)

no problem I though, I'll just find an old XP machine, but I have now tried three different 32bit xp machines, every possible combination of ports/cables/hubs, driver installs/ uninstall/reinstall, ISE versions and every webcase suggestion I could find and every time I get the same result, an "unknown usb device"

Is it actually possible to install platform cable use II on winxp?, and is an obsolete OS on old hardware really the only option for programming efuses on spartan-6

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt