spartan 3e starter kit usb cable

Hi all,

Recently I bought a Spartan 3E starter kit board and met some configuration problems. As indicated in the user guide for the board, it can be programmed by the USB cable shipped with the kit, (see user guide page 28). However, it seems the programming via the USB does not work and the driver software on the PC side is not properly installed, although the user guide says the "windows OS should recognized and install the associated driver software". Well, Xilinx trust too much on Windows!

I already checked with the Xilinx website and no answer was found for this problem. I do find similar questions posted on other bbs but nobody answered.

Can anybody help? Thank you in advance.

Steve

Reply to
Ju, Jian

I successfully used the USB cable to program my board, no troubles. Are you running with an old Windows version? Have you successfully used the USB for other things? Do you have Webpack installed on your machine? Wasn't there a checkbox to load USB drivers with Webpack or not?

Reply to
John_H

--- I tried on both Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 SP4

--- The PC can detect the plug-in of the USB device but it indicates the driver is not installed. So I think the USB cable should be ok.

--- The webpack is successfully installed on my PC and I updated it to

8.1.03i by installing the ISE service pack (8_1_03i_win.exe) on the Xilinx download center.

--- No checkbox appear when I plug in the USB cable.

Reply to
Ju, Jian

When I first started using the same board, it went through a lot of iterations of installing first one USB driver (that it found on the internet somewhere), then another, then back to the first.... Eventually it settled down.

Now it works pretty well, except that about once a day the ISE trashes the .ise file and I have to recover from a copy.

--
David M. Palmer  dmpalmer@email.com (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)
Reply to

I just tried using another USB cable, it works. Although it's weird, I can work on the project now.

Thanks for all your help.

"John_H" ??????:_KOJg.13869$pX3.2025@trnddc07...

Reply to
Ju, Jian