PalmChip Patent

Hi - just finished reading this...
http://www.us.design-reuse.com/news/news6026.html
triggered by some discussions with peers.

Does anybody think this affects the FPGAs with on-chip busses?

--neeraj

Re: PalmChip Patent

Ha flippin' ha.  Here we go again.

Perhaps some of these turkeys should read the AMBA bus spec,
or find out about what Inmos were doing and writing in the
late 70s.

Not all prior art originates in the USA, despite what some
USPTO patent examiners seem to think :-)

Just one delightful snippet from the "Background" section
of this patent on the USPTO website:

   Static timing analysis is preferably awkward, ...

Well, no;  but patent lawyers, now, there's quite another thing.
--

Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how
Re: PalmChip Patent

Come on, the USPTO patent examiners wouldn't know prior art if it came
up and bit them on the ass, mostly because the system largely relies
on what the patent filer cites!
--
Nicholas C. Weaver                                 snipped-for-privacy@cs.berkeley.edu

Re: PalmChip Patent

Which is, of course, a BIG &@#$2#$)(ing problem, as the inventor may
lie, gloss over, or just through ignorance, neglect huge hunks of
prior art.

And without a cost-effective way of interested third parties to attack
the patent after being granted, one gets this huge minefield of
garbage.
--
Nicholas C. Weaver                                 snipped-for-privacy@cs.berkeley.edu

Re: PalmChip Patent

Yes big problem. An inventor should think "if my patent is worth anything
someone will find all the prior art."  There is a point after the patent is
accepted and when it is issued that would be a good time for that some kind
of public flogging of the patent.

Steve

Site Timeline