Peter Alfke has passed away

Those who've been on this newsgroup for any period of time will remember Peter Alfke, the Xilinx legend, and his infectious enthusiasm. He was a great help as I got into FPGA design 8 years ago, as I embarked on the academic track. I met him at a number of conferences, and he was just as wonderful in person. He gave some real life to the newsgroup and has been sorely missed since he stopped posting.

A tweet that carried the news:

Our condolences to his family and friends; he will be sorely missed.

Suhaib.

Reply to
Suhaib Fahmy

Indeed quite sad as he was a real guru with a great personality.

Hans

HT-Lab

Sad news.

RCIngham

He helped me more than once, and was the main reason for my choosing Xilinx. RIP.

--
Syd
Reply to

So far no official announcement on the Xilinx page. Sure this isn't some sick joke?

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

126857481812066304

Unfortunately this is not a joke.

Ed McGettigan

-- Xilinx Inc.

Reply to
Ed McGettigan

Then it is very sad news. My condolences.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Xilinx's official twitter account has retweeted a number of related tweets. So it seems not=85

Reply to
Suhaib Fahmy

It seems he had important health problems since long time. I found this on the web

There is no a sure reference which certifies that the "Peter Alfke" on the article is really him (at least reading the article at first glance) but looking to the photo and by comparing with
it seems to be really him.

I read many of his articles and note. We will miss him and his passion for job.

Fabio

Reply to
F M

Thats really sad news.

Although predominantly an Altera user I have really appreciated Peter's input to comp.arch.fpga over the years, one of the gentlemen of our industry.

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Very sad indeed.

Si monumentum requiris... there can't be many in our industry for whom that would be more appropriate. Peter not only leaves behind a fine body of written work, but also the traces of his infectious, generous enthusiasm and expertise in the minds of a generation (no, surely two generations) of engineers.

Thanks for letting us know.

--
Jonathan Bromley
Reply to

/126857481812066304

He is the genius in this group. I still remember his "Six Easy Pieces"

R.I.P

Reply to
Mawa_fugo

MAN! This has been a BAD YEAR! First, Jim Williams, then Bob Pease, and now Peter! Sad news indeed!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

..

printf("And lets not forget Dennis Richie who passed away a few weeks ago, one of the all time great computer scientist.\n");

Hans.

HT-Lab

I hate to speak ill of the dead, but I've never been a great fan of the C language or Unix. Yes, it works, it certainly is a hacker's paradise, but there is so much unstructured stuff in there that it is STILL causing troubles for people

40 year later! On the other hand, a HELL of a lot of work is done in C, and Linux is a great gift to the computing community, even with the lasting warts from Unix. So, it is kind of a love/hate relationship there.

So, I don't put DMR and BWK in the same league as Jim Williams and Bob Pease. Not sure if Peter really is in their league, I'm probably unaware of a HELL of a lot of stuff that he did.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

An email from some relatives was posted on a similar thread I made on LinkedIn, that confirms he passed away in July as a result of his illness.

Sad=85

Reply to
Suhaib Fahmy

All,

I (and others) only recently were made aware of Peter's passing.

Xilinx will respond (soon).

We were extremely fortunate to have Peter as an employee, and I am personally quite sad, as he and I edited each others papers, posts, and articles.

Not to mention the fun we had here on comp.arch.fpga together.

Austin Lesea

Reply to
austin

26857481812066304

I think he's the only one who wrote poetry in comp.arch.fpga

R.I.P

Reply to
Mawa_fugo

Very sad, a great loss.

Peter had so many virtues, but I'll remember his generosity. It never failed, even when he had to explain metastability for the millionth time.

Reply to
Tim

Sad news. I didn't knew him personally, but I remember great articles from him, like "Unusual Clock Dividers":

and many interesting articles in this newsgroup, which helped me a lot when I was a FPGA newbie.

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
piano and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss