Peter Crowcroft.

Many readers would have been aware of Peter Crowcroft, formerly of Tasmania Australia, who set up an Electronics DIY kit business in Hong Kong nearly 30 years ago. He passed away in 2005. At the time, I reported it here:

Ladda his wife, has had quite a struggle to be able to continue without Peter, and with the assistance of old friends like Frank of Ozitronics.com, she has managed to survive in these poor economic times.

There is a very nice writeup about her struggle in "AmCham", the Journal of the American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong.

Pages 17-18,

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Great to see them still going. Thanks for the link Don

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks for that update, Don. I was just doing a major bog-out of paper lying down the dead end of my desk on the weekend and found one of his business cards.

Reply to
rebel

Hi Don,

eh Peter is second person in the list of 2 I wish I would have met more than once in my life, the first being my father, who passed away

10 years ago, as I found out by GOOGLE search about year ago.

Antti PS Don, I am doing the GEN 3 of SimmStick, this time I think it is it. First kit PCBs on my desk.

Reply to
Antti.Lukats

Didn't know the SimmStick concept was still alive and kicking?

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

well, I said GEN 3 there is GEN 2 also, mostly internal use, but some products made also GEN 3 is different as it does not use any connectors :)

its the "general concept" that is alive, from the original simmstick there is nothing left over, the only thing GEN 2 inherited from SimmStick is the fact that GND and VCC should not be next to each other

... (optional)

---------- GND

VCC

... so screwdriver would not short circuit power supply in shaky hands (not that mine do)

SimmStick(tm) generation 1 SIPSIK(tm) generation 2 CRUVI(tm) generation 3

well first CRUVI baseboard uses SIPSIK(tm) spec compatible SMD module those pictured here

the pinout has GNDVCC.. (from one corner, counter clock wise counted) so it has lowest level SIPSIK compatibility

eh, last week local TV channel did come take a video clip for a show dedicated to DIY projects so it soon be on our national TV, well its a small nation ;) but still was funny to look into the professional camera..

Antti

Reply to
Antti.Lukats

Sorry to hear that Antti, but good to hear from you again. It has been many years, hasn't it? I have been watching your jottings in the groups.

For those that don't know Antti Lukats, originally from Estonia, I ran into him on the web about 94-95, and we became very close friends.

He came up with the SimmStick concept about 96-97 and did the first initial 4 or 5 designs. I then picked it up and designed the rest.

Feeling it had run it's course, as it was based on the old XT 30 pin style memory sockets, I dropped it about 3 years ago, but as I had

1000's of boards manufactured, I have been selling off these bare boards heavily discounted.

OK Antti, what is GEN 3 of SimmStick??

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

tml

CRUVI is not yet public, I could send some photos that explain the concept but cant figure out valid e-mail, it should not take long before release too, but I am currently only collecting feedback from people I know over non public channels.

Antti

Reply to
Antti.Lukats

Sounds like the Estonain word for a SCREW, to me Antti :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Thanks for the update. Don. Peter was a real character.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Thought I better post it to the piclist, as he had many friends and associates there, that would be interested in how DIY Hong Kong is traveling these days.

Don...