vga to ethernet converter

Hello

Does anyone know if it's possible to build a VGA to ethernet converter? A device that converts a VGA signal to a digital videostream.

I want to be able to operate a computer from a remote position also when the computer boots. So I will be able to change bios settings, starting mode of Windows, etc.

Thanks Rune

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rune Christensen

Some "server management" cards do just this. Needs to either snoop the bus for VGA accesses or fully emulate a VGA adapter (i.e. they /are/ the VGA adapter for the machine). Quite expensive to buy, quite hard to make...

--
Ian

'Milk below!'
Reply to
Ian

"Ian"

skrev i en meddelelse news:Q0qZc.555637$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com...

the

of

for VGA

for the

I think that this must the easiest solution to the problem. Create a VGA card that transfer the screen to ethernet instead of a screen. Maybe a PCI FPGA card could be used to do this.

To the people on comp.arch.fpga have anyone tried to create a VGA card on a PCI FPGA card?

Thanks Rune Christensen

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rune Christensen

We done similar projects, the critical point is if many VGA standard need be supported

Walter

"Rune Christensen" a écrit dans le message de news:41384139$0$195$ snipped-for-privacy@dread12.news.tele.dk...

when

mode

bus

INS122595

some 'server' type computers have a BIOS that will allow you to do the basics over a serial port. After the computer comes up you can run something like windows' RDP or VNC for a remote desktop.

This isn't all that simple - assume your video stream is

800x600x8bits per pixel x 60 hz (~230 mbits/sec). To make it work, you'll have to run gigabit ethernet, drop bits or frames, compress or some mixture of these.

Next problem is how to get at the screen data - you could implement a whole vga subsystem (don't forget BIOS and drivers), snoop the PCI bus (need to track the state of a real vga chip which can be tricky), get a digital copy of the VGA output data (not all vga chips have digital out) or recapture the data from an analog copy (probably don't have access to the pixel clock, so you need PLLs to recapture the data).

Reply to
Andrew Dyer

There are VGA capturing solutions, but it's probably easier to do with DVI.

Doing a VGA card is pretty difficult; VGA is a pretty complex thing. It is probably easier to have a standard video chip which outputs DVI or some kind of LCD interface, and then capture it and send out the Ethernet in whatever protocol you wish.

-hpa

Reply to
H. Peter Anvin