Need help: Altera ALTPLL_RECONFIG state machine construction

I've asked for help once before on this topic and was directed to look at Ap Note #367. Unfortunately, when I unzip the example designs, I didn't find a walk-through or readme file that describes how to go through each example (am I missing something?).

I am using a Stratix II part and need to be able to monitor a input pin, after power-up/ reconfiguration is complete, to switch between two different sets of dividers (this pin will tell the FPGA that one of two input clocks are going to be used). From Ap Note 367 and the ALTPLL_RECONFIG Megafunction User's Guide, it appears that this external state machine/logic needs to determine if a reconfigure is required and if so, issue a 1 clock pulse on the reconfig pin of the ALTPLL_RECONFIG line, wait for the reconfiguration to be done, and then issue an asynchronous reset. (The asynchornous reset also needs to be sent even if the reconfig is not needed).

None of the documentation that I've seen so far shows examples on how to do this. I've seen included drawings that just show interconnection between the ALTPLL_RECONFIG and ALTPLL -- nothing else is given.

Does anyone have a step-by-step example with code and/or drawings that explains how to really design with the ALTPLL_RECONFIG and ALTPLL megawizard functions?

Reply to
Bob

Hi Bob,

Here is some info from our PLL applications team that hopefully helps you.

See the Stratix II errata for information on cases when you should reset the PLL after a PLL reconfiguration:

Under "Stratix II FPGA Device Family Issues", see "PLL Reconfiguration Issue". It describes several scenarios and in which cases a PLL reset is required, as well as how long the reset should be held, etc. This information has not been fully updated in the Application Note.

Aside from how to apply areset, the best places to look for info on PLL reconfiguration are:

In AN 367, the section titled "Reconfiguring the C0 Counter" gives a step by step description of how to reconfigure the PLL to change the C0 clock output. The first design example is essentially a design setup with the simulation vectors to show this process:

The Stratix-II clock and PLL HandBook chapter describes what the various counter settings mean and how different settings result in different multiply/divide values. See the "Hardware Features" section entitled "Clock Multiplication & Division":

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Vaughn Betz Altera

Reply to