looking for PCI board with fpga and 1394 interface

Hi everybody,

we're two students looking for a low cost developer board for our diploma work. we intend to plug a camera to the pci board via 1394 and process the images throug the fpga and get the processed images from fpga via pci. The camera we will use, uses DCAM /IICD Now we have several problems:

-we don't have a high budget, so it should be a low cost solution.

-we have not jet found a board that fits our need, does anybody know something cheep that could fit our needs?

-there would be several possibility to solve the connectivity problems:

  • best would be to find a board that fits our need, means have at least pci, fpga and 1394 on it? any suggestions ont htat?

  • if the above point can't be reached we could probably solder our 1394 interface ourself on a board. What would then be best for our purpose? We could probably use a TSB12LV32 chip from ti if we don't find a board with firewire.
    does anybody know this? would it then be possible to implement the dcam in the fpga?

Thanks to everbody

Reply to
Nicolas Schwarzentrub

you can find it here:

xman

funny man! you may visit our page

to see that we allready googled. Next time better don't answer if you don't have any help to a serious question. Maybe you didn't got the point. The point is not the header, the point is the 1394 problem! Boards with

1394 are available but we can't afford more than say $500, so we must find a cheap board and as far as we see ther doesn't exists one with 1394 for that price, it may exist but does' not have pci.. got it? So what we want to know is if anybody has already soldered himeself a 1394 chip on a fpga board and if so has implemented the DCAM IIDC on a fpga? $ serious answers very welcome

kindest regards

Nicolas Schwarzentrub

Reply to
Nicolas Schwarzentrub

Our Broaddown2 has the PCI and the capability to add on the 1394. There are discounts for students but if that would make it cheap enough I don't know. We have a project that may give a 1394 add-on board but I don't have a launch date for this yet. If you are looking at MicroBlaze as a processor then Broaddown2 currently comes with a $100 discount voucher for EDK that can be used at one of our partners in the UK.

We also have a product coming that is aimed at students and is going to be aimed at the cheap end of the market. It will be PCI based and should be capable of supporting some of Broaddown2's DIL header add-ons.

More details of all of this should appear on our website upgrade in 2/3 weeks time.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

This Boards sounds interesting (the price also). What I din't get is how to add on the 1394 interface so we could plug in our cam. Is it to find a chip and solder ourself? Your project with a 1394 add-on board sounds interesting to. But the time of our project is already running therefore this would probably be to late for us.

Nicolas Schwarzentrub

John Adair wrote:

Reply to
niggu

Broaddown2 has headers that are spaced on multiples of 0.1 inch (2.54 mm) and can accept prototying materials such as stripboard. From these headers

3.3V/2.5V/1,8V and 0V can also be supplied to power your add-on. Failing that Broaddown2 has a nimber of supplies including negative rails that can be connected via flying lead. Headers are fitted on Broaddown2 for such cases. Of course if you University has the facilities you can also make a simple custom PCB to fit these headers as well. Usually a 1 or 2 layer PCB will cover many interfacing requirements. This is what we do when we produce either a new standard add-on module or customer paid for custom modules.

The only word of caution is that anything connected to the headers, and hence the Spartan-3, should not have a voltage higher than nominal 3.3V (4.05V limit) otherwise you will damage the Spartan-3. If you need to use 5V logic then level translate use a bus switch device or other suitable device. You can see an example of these devices on a picture of Broaddown2 down near the PCI connector. 3 x 20 way devices are to be seen there and they level shift PCI and the 5V oscillator outputs.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

are

know.

processor

that