Last ISE version that supports XC95xxXL ?

Hi

can someone suggest what version of ISE would be best candidate not to fail on XC95xxXL fitting?

ISE 8.2SP3 fails badly - I was hoping not have to install older versions and check with WebFitter, but: "WebFITTER has been replaced by ISE WebPACK" !!!!

and latest ISE fails badly with XC95xxXL as target, the same VHDL design reports different number of pins being used if XC95xxXL is selected, eg FPGA targets, Coolrunner/II - all report no issues with the desgin, but as soon as it run with XC95xxXL selected then different number of input pins are reported as not there. There is no clue why they are disappearing and what else may be wrong.

Stepping back ISE history and installing 7.x then 6.x ...etc and retesting in the hope that maybe some older version works is really painful :(

Antti

Reply to
Antti

I am using ise 8.1sp3 on an xc9572xl-10VQ64.

But I do rememeber I had to play a little with settings until the project imported from 7.1 worked ok.

I am not sure, but may be it was Optimization Effort (turned to High) the point I changed.

I suppose that it should work also with 8.2, but if you keep on having problems, I may take a deepest look at the project under 7.1 and compare it to the project under 8.1, to see the real changes I made.

I am installing 8.2 in a couple of weeks, I will the see if there arise new problems.

Best regards,

Zara

Reply to
Zara

Is this a design that did fit, and work, once on an (older) webpack, or is this a new design, that you hope will get better on an older system ? Did you try the non-XL versions, (or have they now gone off the choices ? )

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Jim Granville schrieb:

Jim,

its a new design. it seems to work as of reports for any other familes except XC95xx (XL nonXL both fail). I am hoping to find some older version that has functional XC95 fitter. For what I see the 8.2SP3 just isnt doing much useful for XC95 family and as that is the oldest device still supported I guess there is not much hope the problems being ever fixed.

Hopefully I dont have to write my own fitter (I am capable of that).

Zara -

changin some options changed the count of pins that go lost 3 => 8, (and yes only for XC95!) but its still not doing proper fit as much as I understand.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Zara schrieb:

got it working (or deliver reasonable reports at least) with ISE 8.1SP3

but only when synthesis goal is set to "area"

all attempts to play with settings in 8.2 have failed so far, eg the input pins are missing no matter how much I have randomized the synthesis/fit options.

maybe a perl script (similar to xplorer) that re-reruns the design with different options and monitors when the missing pin appear again in report and then stops?

Ok, 8.1 seems to work - so case closed this time.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Hi, though not directly releated to the topic but i have similar problem with webpack ise. the follow code runs ok on 6.3i but fails on 8.2i. can anyone help me out why its so and whats the solution?

addr_r Zara schrieb:

Reply to
avionion

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

thats correct (by ISE 8.2) it does more checks - just add the (15 downto 0) to the lefthand operand should work then

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Reply to
avionion

VMware Server is gratis and once you've gotten your first Windows VM, the next 1,000,000 are easy :-) VMware can use the host filesystem, thus you can just set up a VM for each version of ISE etc. and try them one by one.

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy Thorn