JTAG tutorial

I created a small tutorial about JTAG. See

I'd be happy to hear about mistakes/suggestions. Thanks.

Reply to
Jean Nicolle

I haven't read it in detail, so I won't comment on the content, but I like the style. It's well-paced. It's concise. It doesn't have unnecessary and confusing repetition. It's laid out clearly with good diagrams. Most articles fail on all these points.

I'd only say that it's best to avoid writing small numbers (1-10) and non-exact numbers as digits. E.g. it's easier to read "a few thousand...three inputs and one output" than "a few 1000...3 inputs, and 1 output".

Mike

Reply to
MikeShepherd564

On a sunny day (Fri, 12 May 2006 04:08:46 GMT) it happened "Jean Nicolle" wrote in :

Very nice! Just learned a bit more about JTAG.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You mentioned that some external Flash manufacuturers make versions that can be ISP via JTAG? I have been looking for such a Chip! Do you know of any off hand? Most are programmed through the SPI or Parrallel interface, it woulds be nice to have some JTAG capable for faster debug.

Thanks, ELi

Reply to
Eli Hughes

Eli

most flash devices do not have a JTAG port but can still be programmed via JTAG by ensuring all the pins of the flash chip which are required address, data, and control signals are connected to a device which does have a boundary scan port. Unused fpag pins are good for this. The JTAG software can then control the FPGA pins connected to the flash to write data into the flash device. If you are going to do it this way it is often necessary to take the WE pin to a spare pin on the JTAG header to enable the speed of the programming to be quicker.

hope this helps

Ad

Reply to
Ad

Thanks!

Ok, I fixed a few instances of the numbers.

Reply to
Jean Nicolle

Correct.

I actually know only one flash that can be programmed through JTAG (Platform flash, made by ST, sold by Xilinx). So I'm a little optimistic in my webpage. Anyone knows if we can get these flash from ST directly? or another source?

Reply to
Jean Nicolle

GREAT LINK. I typically check your website and have used your forums a few times. In fact I asked a question about the JTAG stuff a while ago. I have compiled and tried playing around with your examples with a 4 device board I designed. I am going to try writing my own C app to test my boards. Your site is just what I was looking for.

Anyone know of other C tutorials for writing your own JTAG apps? I would rather write my own than buy the really expensive commercial applications.

matt

Reply to
Matt Clement