jbits

Hi! Can somebody give me some advices about jbits. I want to use it in reconfigurable computing. What are its limits. Is it useful? Some one already told me "Jbits is dead" but didn't explain why !

Mehdi

Reply to
GaLaKtIkUs™

Because

- a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380
Reply to

Adam,

It was pointed out to me the other day, that Neocad reverse engineered bitgen. They never reverse engineered the bitstream (had no idea what controlled what).

Folks are ofthen fond of saying "there is no security in obscurity" but then they do not have to search for a needle in a haystack.

Keeping the bitstream secret is still a powerful means of preventing reverse engineering.

Lately I asked a well know reverse engineering firm to do their job, and tell me what the design was given only the bitstream.

They no bid the job "as we felt it would take to long, and cost too much." That definitely surprised me, as to refuse business for something that is understandably long and arduous (read $$$) was a surprise.

But from their point of view, they would much rather go after something that was easier (cut, section, etc.) and had immediate payback.

Now it is said that governments would not be so limited (they would reverse engineeer a bitstream).

Very few of our customers are worried about a governement stealing their designs and intellectual property. For those that are (other governments), we are happy to assure them that the bitstream still remains a secret (for what that is worth, which may in fact be a lot).

So far the 'Logic Vault' cards I have sent out to academia have not been able to be cracked by DPA (a commonly held belief is that differential power attack (DPA) is able to 'crack' 3DES or AES easily). Seems that finding the keys in a smart card may be a junior EE class exercise, but going after something a bit more challenging (like the keys held in out battery backed RAM) is no easy task.

I'd like to think that it has to do with brilliant engineering, but it is more likely that one can not discern the information from the noise of all those pesky support transistors that clutter up a FPGA.

Aust>>Some one already told me "Jbits is dead" but didn't explain why !

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Austin, please cite a source for this.

Xilinx would have sued them halfway to the moon if their product required "bitgen.dll" (or equivalent) from the Xilinx ISE in order to function. That would be clear infringement on Xilinx's copyrights and any judge would have been more than happy to hand down an injunction putting them out of business.

- a

Reply to
Adam Megacz

Adam,

The things you learn after you buy a company.

Personally, I think it was for the best that we purchased Neocad...

Aust> Aust>

Reply to
Austin Lesea

If you look at some of the history... the cheapest way to reverse engineer a project... is to pay off one of the designers and just get him to send you the source.

Of course you might get caught.. but then it comes down to who has the biggest check book for lawyers.

Back in the 80's I was given a book on the costliest computer hacks... the first was a disgruntled employee with a fire-axe ... (there's a moral here)

Simon

surprise.

Reply to
Simon Peacock

Ok. So: the jbits is just an illusion and reverse engineering the bitstream is too complex. What about accessing the internal configuration data? what is the degree of complexity and the limits of this approach? Another (which may solve definatly the problem :) ) would create from scratch an open source FPGA :)

Reply to
GaLaKtIkUs™

Concerning the Bitstreams and the protection of designs. I think that it would be very easy for FPGA vendors to make FPGAs which offer two modes of functionning: a secured mode which uses encrypted bitstreams (for ultra-secret applications :) ) and a "non-secure" mode for use in cases where the protection of the low level infos is not important.

Reply to
GaLaKtIkUs™