Impossible to download WebPACK?

As a data point, webpack downloaded just fine for me as well. I'm near Seattle WA, using firefox 1.5.0.4 on Fedora Core 5 (Linux), Comcast network connection. Time was under an hour.

--
Phil Hays (Xilinx, but speaking for myself)
Reply to

Not to do a 'me too', but ... well ... me too :-)

In San Jose, took 45 minutes.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Gornall

I downloaded it too, here near Cambridge, UK. It took about 35 minutes. The only problem I had was *starting* the download because of the braindead code on the page.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

I seem to recall having this same problem once. I think it was because I had signed up, but before you are authorized to download, your application has to be reviewed by a human. I'm not sure, but I think you may get an email on Monday telling you where/how to download the file.

Reply to
rickman

That won't work in this case. If you load the page in a browser you never get to see the page that contains the download URLs - the server (NOT a META REFRESH!) redirects you instantly back to the "register or download" page. Broken, massively broken.

That's not a problem. I got the Windows and Linux versions, and downloaded ModelSim for good measure.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Hell, this download is so large it creates other problems. I tried to download it at work once and found it was too large to fit on a CD!!! It proved impossible to get IT to install a DVD burner on my PC so I had to get the local FAE to burn me a copy. I could have bought a copy of the DVD from Xilinx onlne, but I didn't have a project budget at that point and I would have had to pay for it out of pocket. I was going to do that, but the FAE got in the loop.

I suggested to Xilinx that they split the download in two parts so it can be burned onto two CDs rather than a DVD. But obviously they don't see the utility in that. They spend a few bazillion dollars to create a web pack and keep it working with all the upgrades, but they can't be bothered enough to make it fit on CDs rather than a DVD. I guess they just don't know how difficult it can be to work for a defense contractor. If I dipped into my own pocket every time the bureaucracy got in my way of doing work, I would owe them money at the end of the week!

BTW, this is your money too, and Xilinx's! They pay taxes too. :^)

Reply to
rickman

As of ISE8.2 they no longer offer CDs to those of us actually paying for the full ISE (they gave notice of this change with 8.1). I personally prefer the DVDs, but can see where it might cause problems with others.

Reply to
Duane Clark

They DO see the sense of split downloads in their datasheets - just need to get their datasheet oublisher to talk to their SW publisher!!

Something like webpack _should_ partition very easily. Here I can see ..\bin, ..\doc, and a host of device dependant resource

Wonder if they even looked at a better class of ZIP, or even a split into an installer, and zip data files. Should be easy to copy what their datasheet team do: one large file, and also selective downloads.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I think what they want is IE6 set to safe zone and accept all cookies. "It works when we test it here!"

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller